Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Cleaning and Maintenance (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/)
-   -   How often?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/how-often-91445/)

mahall 05-29-2013 03:12 PM

How often??
 
What's the general rule on cleaning guns kept in a safe, unused!! Some guns I rarely shoot!! I wipe down with cleaner and oil once a month!! With a detailed clean and field strip about every 6 months!! Does that sound about right?? Anyone??

trip286 05-29-2013 03:21 PM

I don't own a safe. I have a carry pistol and a shotgun in a sleeve leaning against the corner of my closet.

My carry gets wiped once a week, and thoroughly cleaned once a month (or after range, whichever comes first), same with my shotgun.

No general rule, just my preference.

bclark1 05-30-2013 11:11 PM

Id say what you are doing is plenty just make sure you have some sort of dehumidifier to keep the moisture in your safe down especially if you live in a humid climate.

Anna_Purna 05-30-2013 11:19 PM

Do you live on the coast with the smell of salt in the air? Humid, or dry desert? If you live near the ocean or anywhere there is high humidity, I would clean them often. Anywhere out west in Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Montana, I would clean them once a year, but check on them periodically 1 or 2 times in a year.

mahall 05-31-2013 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna_Purna
Do you live on the coast with the smell of salt in the air? Humid, or dry desert? If you live near the ocean or anywhere there is high humidity, I would clean them often. Anywhere out west in Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Montana, I would clean them once a year, but check on them periodically 1 or 2 times in a year.

I'm fairly close to the beach(10 miles) but they stay in a safe, in the AC

bclark1 05-31-2013 02:39 AM

The moist air can still sometimes get trapped in there and a cheap dehumidifier and a light wipedown with oil every now and then would probobly be a good idea to prevent surface rust.

mahall 05-31-2013 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bclark1
The moist air can still sometimes get trapped in there and a cheap dehumidifier and a light wipedown with oil every now and then would probobly be a good idea to prevent surface rust.

Thanks! Small safe! I guess they make small dehumidifiers?? Probably at gun stores??

Anna_Purna 05-31-2013 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahall (Post 1263035)
Thanks! Small safe! I guess they make small dehumidifiers?? Probably at gun stores??

Nope. They make them in factories, and sell them in gun stores! lol :D

mrm14 05-31-2013 03:33 AM

Large sacks if desiccant work for me.

Anna_Purna 05-31-2013 03:34 AM

If you don't have the funds, get a small open can of uncooked rice and keep it in there. Rice absorbs humidity. Or even better, some of those packets of silicone that are found in new electronic equipment, etc.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:41 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.