Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Cleaning and Maintenance (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/)
-   -   How much oil? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/how-much-oil-87214/)

12fretter 03-23-2013 03:12 AM

How much oil?

I hear conflicting stories. When I took my CCW class, the instructor said to use very little oil. Dry brush the powder off all the pieces you can, oil the slides, wipe it down, done.

I just received a couple guns from a friend who is a big gun nut and they're drenched in oil.

I wouldn't want a dripping gun to carry every day.

So how much oil do you really need?

Pasquanel 03-23-2013 03:49 AM

I personally use very little, if you were going to shoot a thousand or more rounds in one session you might want to run your gun "wet" but for normal use and carry a very light film of your preferred lubricant is more than sufficient. Those of us who cc are more concerned about rust and corrosion rather than actual wear. Realistically any good lubricant will do but should you ask what "do you guys use?" the replies will be almost countless and each will proclaim "their's" is the worlds best! So in answer to the original question if your piece is leaving a stain on your clothing you're using too much! ;)

HOSSFLY 03-24-2013 02:54 PM

Just enuff to lub the moving parts- anymore will just run off-

shouldazagged 03-24-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 1188499)
Just enuff to lub the moving parts- anymore will just run off-

And it can be worse: I was in an LGS some years ago and a new part-time employee (I'm not even sure he was being paid), middle-aged guy, wanted to show me his carry gun. It was a two-inch .44 Magnum, which in itself made me wonder just a little about his judgment, but it was literally dripping oil. The OWB holster was saturated and staining his pants. I had to wash the oil off my hands after handling the piece. He was proud of how well it was protected, and well lubed so it would be dependable.

I had to tell the silly schmuck that oiling the chambers was NOT a good idea, and that the lubricant played hell with ammo. And would collect powder residue. And in his case, would just make the gun hard to hold onto with .44 Mag recoil--it was that slippery.

Come to think of it, I don't think I saw him in the store after that.

HOSSFLY 03-24-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shouldazagged (Post 1188623)
And it can be worse: I was in an LGS some years ago and a new part-time employee (I'm not even sure he was being paid), middle-aged guy, wanted to show me his carry gun. It was a two-inch .44 Magnum, which in itself made me wonder just a little about his judgment, but it was literally dripping oil. The OWB holster was saturated and staining his pants. I had to wash the oil off my hands after handling the piece. He was proud of how well it was protected, and well lubed so it would be dependable.

I had to tell the silly schmuck that oiling the chambers was NOT a good idea, and that the lubricant played hell with ammo. And would collect powder residue. And in his case, would just make the gun hard to hold onto with .44 Mag recoil--it was that slippery.

Come to think of it, I don't think I saw him in the store after that.

You kant fix stoopid :(

MattShlock 03-24-2013 05:05 PM

I think as little oil as possible is necessary. If you can see it it may be too much.

I went to Remington teflon oil decades ago. You can buy the spray in automotive stores for 1/3rd less than the gun-labelled oil! It lubricates even after the oil has evaporated, and I've been swithching to silicone lubricant in most recent years. It doesn't dry, doesn't attract dust, and for carry guns and knives nothing gets stained.

trip286 03-24-2013 05:32 PM

I get my oil for free these days. I begun to scrub my gun down while spraying it with scalding hot water, then completely and totally soak it in oil, I mean DRENCH IT, then I wipe off all excess with a clean rag. Wasteful, but mine's free. And I clean with hot water, so I feel it's necessary to get into every little nook and cranny I can.

shouldazagged 03-24-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 1188631)
You kant fix stoopid :(

Well, you can, but the fix so often turns out to be fatal. I hope that chump wised up and never had to use that .44 to save his derriere.

c3shooter 03-24-2013 05:45 PM

How much does the average handgun need? 2-3 drops.

Jpyle 03-24-2013 06:04 PM

Use half as much as what you think you need. The excess will just pool up and collect dirt and grime. A gun is not like a machine part or a lathe that needs to be bathed in oil, it just requires a thin coat to prevent rust and reduce friction between moving parts.