How do you clean your guns? - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > How do you clean your guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post

Just curious but what are you using the grease on? I was thinking about greasing the part where the charging handle slides on my mini 14, but I always thought the oil worked ok. Do you find the grease attracts and holds dirt/dust more than an oil?
Here's the way my Sergeant explained it to me when I were but a devil pup: "greasy, slimy, gooey and nasty sand, dirt, and grit; is better than dry and crusty sand, dirt, and grit."

The lighter the oil, the more easily it's dried out by foreign debris like sand, dirt, and grit.

For most carry guns, this doesn't matter one damn bit, because they're often treated much less harshly than a machine gun in actual combat situations.

But, some people are of the train of thought that large sliding parts should be greased, while smaller parts in enclosed spaces should be oiled.

Nothing wrong with that train of thought. My cop friend greases his slides, and as he pointed out, his duty and back up are more likely to be exposed to sand, dirt, and grit than my carry gun is.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #72

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Bore Snakes are for hunting trips when I might want something quick and easy. Other than that and the rare bout of laziness, I never use them.

In addition to the usual cleaning procedures, I use WipeOut with Accelerator every few shooting sessions. It removes copper, foams into every bit of the barrel/throat/chamber and is very easy to use.

As for lube, less oil and grease is better than more; it attracts and holds grit. A gritty lubricant is also known as a rubbing compound.

I just started using this stuff and really like it:

http://www.otistec.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=DE142AF40B504195870EADBE D8B7B9BB

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Last edited by Rocky7; 11-05-2013 at 03:07 AM. Reason: format
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #73

Liked 223 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 373

When I'm in the field, Boresnake and hoppes, in the cabin break out the cleaning kit. Again I'm just old fashioned Hoppes 9 and either Rem oil or ( I've forgotten the brand included in my other kit), as I have 3 kits and a snake for the three cals. .22, .30, 12 gauge.

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Old 11-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #74
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2238 Times on 1565 Posts
Likes Given: 1162

I use MPro7 oil, mostly because it is (sold as) non-toxic. Most oils produce identical results, for lubrication. For rust prevention and lubrication, there is only one product I know that has been proven to do both. S&W Lubricant & Protectant, discontinued several years ago. It was a runaway winner of a Gun Tests controlled experiment with rust prevention. But for the peace of mind, just use solid grease on the non-moving parts. Look at how long the Russian Mosins have survived, thanks to cosmoline.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:16 AM   #75
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 534 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Brass is a softer metal than the steel in your barrel. Try scratching steel with an ice cube, and that's about how much you're going to hurt your gun with a brass brush. How do I clean my guns? I start with a dry brass brush and run it through the barrel of the gun 5 or 6 times. Then I get clean, dry patches and run them through the barrel until they start looking clean. Then I soak a patch in solvent, and run that through the barrel on a jag. I do that a couple of times, then go back to a dry patch until it comes out clean, usually just 2 or 3 passes. A lightly oiled patch down the barrel and it's done. The whole process takes only a couple of minutes. The rest depends on what type of gun is being cleaned, handgun or rifle. good luck

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 11-05-2013, 12:23 AM   #76

My .303 came with an oiler that I understand held light machine oil like todays "3 in 1 oil".
That was to be applied to the bolt slide area with the little spoon thing that was included as well as put on the swab,(patch).

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Old 11-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #77

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

What happens if you leave your barrel dirty and store it over a long period of time?

Old 11-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
What happens if you leave your barrel dirty and store it over a long period of time?
Depending on the round fired, the conditions (environment) your weapons are stored, etc.
If for instance you fired a factory fresh smokeless powder non corrosive primer, FMJ, and lived in central Arizona without the swamp cooler, probably get by without any harm.
If you fired the same thing but lived in Seattle Washington, you could have a rusty mess within a few weeks.
If you fired some military surplus through you Mosin or VZ 24, and lived in most of the U.S. you would have a rusty corroded mess in a short time.

ANYONE WANNA CHIME IN?

Last edited by artbrownsr; 11-05-2013 at 06:48 AM.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #79

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
Dependent on the ammo you used and the environment you live in it can be a problem to leave a dirty gun sitting around. But way I see it is you're afeert of using real cleaning utensils so it's probably done on it's way to the damage it's going to do. Remember a dirty machine gets more friction.

Personally...I don't clean rim fires as much. I will run a bore snake through and oil them before I put them up but honestly most of the 22's I have seem to like to be a little dirty. It's not something I advocate to others. I'm just a little funny with my 22's
Center fire I clean them, I oil them, then I put them up, till the next time I want to make them dirty.

Best way to think about it is a firearm is a machine. If you want a machine to run it's best and last a long time then you keep them clean and oil them. It works for your car, it works for your guns. It's why you change your oil.

I have no idea how you got the brass brush is evil thing. The metal of the brush is much softer than the steel in the thing you are cleaning. It would take a huge ass load of brushes to ever find the first nano amount damage to a gun barrel.
I'll put it to you like this. I own a 1911 than I've had for many years. It has had more rounds though it in a year than many will shoot in a few years. The first few years I had it I shot no less than 150 rounds a week though it. I still own that pistol and it still gets a brass brush taken to the barrel every time before it's put back up. THere is no damage to that barrel. It groups as good now as it did when I got it.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 11-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #80
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i'll point out another fact about guns. if you ever decide to sell a gun, poorly maintained guns don't bring premium prices. and people who have been around them for a while can spot a poorly maintained gun. when i see one, i have to supsect what else may be wrong with it, if it was so poorly maintained and what work will i have to do to correct it, which means i ain't offering a premium price for it.

a properly maintained and one that has had good care during it's usage bring a much better price if you decide to sell.