How do you clean your guns? - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > How do you clean your guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

I really think I didn't wipe off enough excess, making it solely operator error I'm sure.

But that doesn't matter to me. I choose not to use a lubricant that I can make to malfunction.
I dont blame i for not using it again. What else do u think is a good lube? Im always trying to find the next best thing.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #62

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by duddie10 View Post

I dont blame i for not using it again. What else do u think is a good lube? Im always trying to find the next best thing.
I used to use hoppes solvents and lubes. But I ran out and that stuff's expensive.

I mixed 50/50 90 weight gear oil and ATF (automatic transmission fluid, not alcohol tobacco and firearms), and used that for a year or two before trying frog lube. Worked great. Warning, ATF isn't good on leather. I use leather holsters and belts. Hint, hint.

After the frog lube, I switched back to the gear oil and ATF, then picked up a spray can of ballistol at a gun show on a whim. Love it, and it conditions leather, emulsifies in water, conditions wood, and the original formula was supposed to be an antiseptic also. But I ain't spraying this stuff on any open wounds.

In the service, on my SAW, I used brake kleen to knock out the nastiness along with elbow grease and fervent scrubbing, then liberal amounts of rem oil or anything else I could get my hands on in a spray can, and Vaseline on the sliding parts.

Ballistol is also expensive, but I feel it's worth it more so than hoppes. It also does the same with dissolving stuff like hoppes does.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #63

Liked 542 Times on 320 Posts

Quote:

I have had great luck lately with the mpro7 gun oil. It's super slick and a drop goes a LONG way. You know, I never really listened to the hype about all the new fangled clps and other oils etc. For years I used hoppes9 to clean, and Remington oil for a lube. I've never had a problem with any of those cleaners or lube.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #64
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

two great products i use to clean and oil my guns with. i also have started using Lucas heavy duty grease in some applications and will be seeing if i like them for the long haul. Kano Kroil is what i use for a bore solvent, cleaning up blueing, a cleaner for triggers, and a penetrating oil. Lucas Gun Oil is what i use for rust prevention and for when i need a oil that will stay put and keep parts from wearing. the Lucas grease is something i have just started using and will see if it meets my long term usage needs.
kano-kroil-oil.jpg   lucas-gun-oil.jpg   lucas-grease.jpg  
Rocky7 Likes This 
Old 11-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #65

Liked 542 Times on 320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
two great products i use to clean and oil my guns with. i also have started using Lucas heavy duty grease in some applications and will be seeing if i like them for the long haul. Kano Kroil is what i use for a bore solvent, cleaning up blueing, a cleaner for triggers, and a penetrating oil. Lucas Gun Oil is what i use for rust prevention and for when i need a oil that will stay put and keep parts from wearing. the Lucas grease is something i have just started using and will see if it meets my long term usage needs.
Just curious but what are you using the grease on? I was thinking about greasing the part where the charging handle slides on my mini 14, but I always thought the oil worked ok. Do you find the grease attracts and holds dirt/dust more than an oil?

Old 11-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
Just curious but what are you using the grease on? I was thinking about greasing the part where the charging handle slides on my mini 14, but I always thought the oil worked ok. Do you find the grease attracts and holds dirt/dust more than an oil?
i am going to try it out on the slide grooves on my pistols and the bolt carrier on my AR. my firearms stay pretty dang clean to begin with and the grease is just an idea i have to try out. not for sure whether it will work any better than the oil i am using or not. but i use this grease at work an its some pretty good stuff.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #67

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

I used to use hoppes solvents and lubes. But I ran out and that stuff's expensive.

I mixed 50/50 90 weight gear oil and ATF (automatic transmission fluid, not alcohol tobacco and firearms), and used that for a year or two before trying frog lube. Worked great. Warning, ATF isn't good on leather. I use leather holsters and belts. Hint, hint.

After the frog lube, I switched back to the gear oil and ATF, then picked up a spray can of ballistol at a gun show on a whim. Love it, and it conditions leather, emulsifies in water, conditions wood, and the original formula was supposed to be an antiseptic also. But I ain't spraying this stuff on any open wounds.

In the service, on my SAW, I used brake kleen to knock out the nastiness along with elbow grease and fervent scrubbing, then liberal amounts of rem oil or anything else I could get my hands on in a spray can, and Vaseline on the sliding parts.

Ballistol is also expensive, but I feel it's worth it more so than hoppes. It also does the same with dissolving stuff like hoppes does.
Im guna try the gear oil mixed with atf. Also guna try ballistol. Axe ur def right on the koril and lucas. The koril saved my waetherby choke what was rusted in for who who know how long. Thanx guy for thw advice.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #68

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

There is no need to worry about saving money on gun lubricants. I bought a small container of grease that has lasted over two years. I have no idea how long a large can of CLP will last. Buy the gun lube that you want even if it costs $50. There is no need to fret over the cost of a good lubricant when it will last for years. I know motor oil will make wood turn to punk if left on it long enough. Lubricants are not the place to cut corners.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #69

Quote:
Im guna try the gear oil mixed with atf. Also guna try ballistol. Axe ur def right on the koril and lucas. The koril saved my waetherby choke what was rusted in for who who know how long. Thanx guy for thw advice.
i use brake cleaner to do any heavy degreasing and cleaning when i'm working on guns. i also use it to flush out places that are hard to get to. brake cleaner leaves not oily residue when it dries. and it dries fast too.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #70

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
There is no need to worry about saving money on gun lubricants. I bought a small container of grease that has lasted over two years. I have no idea how long a large can of CLP will last. Buy the gun lube that you want even if it costs $50. There is no need to fret over the cost of a good lubricant when it will last for years. I know motor oil will make wood turn to punk if left on it long enough. Lubricants are not the place to cut corners.
I still hear from g17frantz occasionally, and he told me his small can of ballistol is going on 5 years I think.