How do you clean your guns? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > How do you clean your guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 224 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
go to WalMart and buy a universal cleaning kit for less than $20 and buy the chemicals you need right there. they have a variety of bore solvents and gun oils.

personally i think you are trying to overthink this. it's not that complicated.
And IF you look close you might find a kit that already has the cleaner and oil included in the kit!

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-04-2013, 01:57 AM   #52
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbrownsr View Post
And IF you look close you might find a kit that already has the cleaner and oil included in the kit!
quite true. some do have the oil and bore solvent included and some don't.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:23 AM   #53

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Lubricant and rust inhibitor are not the same. And when the label says they are, it is often untrue.
Interestingly, it IS marketed as a solvent and CLP (cleaner, lubricant, protectant). Yet it says absolutely nothing that I can find on their website about rust preventive specifically. Actually, it seems to very conspicuously avoid saying it prevents rust, or anything at all about rust in general.

I was relying on what the store owner told me where I got it, and he said it'll make the gun rust proof. Yet, there's nothing on their website that I've seen that directly supports this statement.

It does allude to it though.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:33 AM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3180 Times on 1832 Posts
Likes Given: 2055

Here is a video on corrosion resistance testing, watch this guys other vids on lead removal and cleaning also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2sN6anOSVRQ

Old 11-04-2013, 02:34 AM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2685 Times on 1865 Posts
Likes Given: 1363

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Interestingly, it IS marketed as a solvent and CLP (cleaner, lubricant, protectant). Yet it says absolutely nothing that I can find on their website about rust preventive specifically. Actually, it seems to very conspicuously avoid saying it prevents rust, or anything at all about rust in general.

I was relying on what the store owner told me where I got it, and he said it'll make the gun rust proof. Yet, there's nothing on their website that I've seen that directly supports this statement.

It does allude to it though.
It's their art. Nobody here can honestly deny getting shafted like that, at one time or another.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:27 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
It's their art. Nobody here can honestly deny getting shafted like that, at one time or another.
Glad I only grabbed a handful of trial sized packets. I spent about 5 bucks, versus the 15 dollar tub.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:42 AM   #57
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 607 Times on 406 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
well i support my LGS as much as possible, but that's an 80 mile round trip for a few small things if i run out. generally when i go, i stock up on things like powder, bullets, primers, gun cleaning tools and guns. WalMart is 10 minutes away from the house if i need something right away.

the only other sources are two pawn shops that have plenty of guns and ammo but pretty much nothing else.
I can appreciate that; sounds like a good opportunity to open up shop.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #58
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg View Post
I can appreciate that; sounds like a good opportunity to open up shop.
i have no desire to open a gun store or any other business. i have seen too many in over 35 years fail in this town. for what reasons i don't know, but no less than 12 that i can remember have failed and most never made it over a year in business. the only two that hang on that sell guns and have for many years now are two pawn shops. one that lasted a few years before he got out it was a auto parts store/auto repair shop/bookstore/sporting goods store that he got out of everything but the auto parts store and auto repair shop business. he's still going strong in those shops.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #59

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I dont store my guns with frog lube. I got some other stuff made for extended storage. Works well usualy go thru all of them every six months any way just to make sure no issues. I havent had an issues using fog lube either kinda weird. Idk maybe just a bad batch u got?!

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Old 11-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by duddie10 View Post
I dont store my guns with frog lube. I got some other stuff made for extended storage. Works well usualy go thru all of them every six months any way just to make sure no issues. I havent had an issues using fog lube either kinda weird. Idk maybe just a bad batch u got?!
I really think I didn't wipe off enough excess, making it solely operator error I'm sure.

But that doesn't matter to me. I choose not to use a lubricant that I can make to malfunction.