Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > How do you clean your guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post

I love them. They don't need to be a perfect fit like the brass etc. do. You can get into alot more places with them. Basically like using a toothbrush.
I have this one nylon brush that is cone shaped with a fan on the tip of the cone. I can use it for cleaning all sorts of different caliber chambers. I use it for anything from a lever action 22 to 12 gauge pumps. 1 size fits all.
Ooohhh.... I like the sound of that. Have a link or a picture so I can know what I'm shopping for?
Old 11-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #42
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 326 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
go to WalMart

and buy a universal cleaning kit for less than $20 and buy the chemicals you need right there. they have a variety of bore solvents and gun oils. personally i think you are trying to overthink this. it's not that complicated.
Walmart for paper towels sure, gun stuff, support your local dealer. If a Walmart store is feeling heat from the anti's or if a particular store don't move much gun related goods they have no problem dropping lines of slower moving stuff. When out local guys lock the doors because of $$$ you don't want to find yourself depending in the marts of the world. My opinion...and I have a friend who is a manager at Walmart, and he agrees with me.

"Don't believe all quotes you read on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 11-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #43
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 326 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357
What do you guys think about nylon brushes?
Got a couple for chemicals that recommend/require their use, but they rarely get used.

"Don't believe all quotes you read on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 11-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #44
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20935 Times on 11893 Posts
Likes Given: 52497

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg View Post
Walmart for paper towels sure, gun stuff, support your local dealer. If a Walmart store is feeling heat from the anti's or if a particular store don't move much gun related goods they have no problem dropping lines of slower moving stuff. When out local guys lock the doors because of $$$ you don't want to find yourself depending in the marts of the world. My opinion...and I have a friend who is a manager at Walmart, and he agrees with me.
well i support my LGS as much as possible, but that's an 80 mile round trip for a few small things if i run out. generally when i go, i stock up on things like powder, bullets, primers, gun cleaning tools and guns. WalMart is 10 minutes away from the house if i need something right away.

the only other sources are two pawn shops that have plenty of guns and ammo but pretty much nothing else.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1683 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
Noticed i haven't cleaned my guns in about a month I'm scared to use the brass / copper brushes that gun cleaning kits come with they are very stiff and i think over time i will ruin my barrels i usually clean my guns with my stepdad and he never uses the metal brushes we always used a bore snake with sliced up t shirt patches dabbed with some solvent and a little bit of lube or a big cotton ball looking thing and squeeze it in so tight that the bore looks like a mirror after about 3-4 passes im thinking about making my own universal gun cleaning kit for under 50$ how do you clean your guns and what do you use?
Bronze brushes will not harm the barrel. The bristles are much softer than the barrel lining.

Any boresnake has a bristled section too. Which metal, I never cared. Those get worn out pretty quickly. It is fine for a casual cleaning, but will leave some resigue behind. Besides you will need to wash the boresnake as regularly as your guns.

The bore being shiny may deceive you. It may still have traces of lead or copper. They hide in the grooves, and won't come out unless you scrub them out, or use super strong chemicals.

There are people who find the boresnakes sufficient, but many including myself trust the brush.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #46

I've found a bore snake REALLY shines for shotgun barrels.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The only reason I ever use a bore snake is when I'm at the range and want a fast "clean" I thoroughly clean all my rifles. I like the hopes elite cleaning rods.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #48

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ive nevr had a problem with copper brushes on bores. I like bore scrub. The foaming kind. Thenni fallow it up with hopps copper solvent and last but not least frog lub paste the whole thing down.

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Old 11-04-2013, 12:37 AM   #49

Tried frog lube a while back, didn't have very good results with it. I followed the directions, which I felt were overly complicated for a damn lubricant to begin with. Loved it at first, was even singing it's praises at the top of my lungs, and told all my friends about it. And then I shot it. Only time my gun has jammed, other than when I intentionally fed it out of spec ammo. I had two fail to feeds, one shot, then another fail to feed, one shot, fail to feed. This repeated a couple times in the same range session with the gun cold. As soon as I got about half a mag through it, it warmed up and ran just fine.

I suspect I left too much on. Oh well. I don't have that problem with oil, so I just went back to oil, this time I eventually went to ballistol. First time I used ballistol on my gun, after cleaning it several times with the motor oil and ATF I kept mixed up for gun cleaning, green goo came dripping out of my gun. Bear in mind, it'd had maybe 20 cleanings between the frog lube and ballistol, yet I'm pretty sure that's what was coming out.

Gun appeared dry with no visible lubricants when I broke out the can of ballistol.

Furthermore, my gun rusted while it was frog lubed. I know it's supposed to be the "be all, end all" when it comes to rust, but my personal experience was that mine very well DID rust, and UNDER the visible film of frog lube.

I'll never touch it again.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:53 AM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1683 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

Furthermore, my gun rusted while it was frog lubed.
Lubricant and rust inhibitor are not the same. And when the label says they are, it is often untrue.