How do you clean your guns? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance >

How do you clean your guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
A bullet travels the same way with the rifling of the barrel, i just feel like a brass brush with possible alloys other metals mixed in it rubbing against the rifling cant be good thats just me though i own a ruger 10/22 takedown and when i push the 22 cal brush through the barrel it just doesn't sound good to me id rather just use tightly packed patches through it.
i have firearms that have had many thousands of rounds through them and a brass bore brush pushed through many hundreds of times. they still shoot great and still have rifling.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #22

Liked 250 Times on 167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357
A bullet travels the same way with the rifling of the barrel, i just feel like a brass brush with possible alloys other metals mixed in it rubbing against the rifling cant be good thats just me though i own a ruger 10/22 takedown and when i push the 22 cal brush through the barrel it just doesn't sound good to me id rather just use tightly packed patches through it.
If a brush can do that much damage to the bore I guess I damn well better stop shooting bullets through my barrels. Can't believe they've lasted this long.
Txhillbilly Likes This 
Old 11-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #23

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

I shoot a lot of corrosive ammo. Therefore, my cleaning process begins with a converted coffee maker perking hot water down the tube.

Carl Sagan

Old 11-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #24

Liked 83 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire
I shoot a lot of corrosive ammo. Therefore, my cleaning process begins with a converted coffee maker perking hot water down the tube.
Now thats crazy

Old 11-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Now thats crazy
no it's not. hot water andsoap neutralize the corrosive acids in the powder and primers of some of that old MilSurp ammo.

some blackpowder firearms are cleaned the same way.
People Like This 
Old 11-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #26

Liked 1318 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Quote:
Now thats crazy
You must be really new to firearms.
People have been cleaning firearms with boiling water for a very,very long time.
I don't recall Hoppes #9 being available to the settlers of this country.
North American Hunting Club
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #27

Liked 9212 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

no it's not. hot water andsoap neutralize the corrosive acids in the powder and primers of some of that old MilSurp ammo.

some blackpowder firearms are cleaned the same way.
Yep. Plain hot water and soap are the order of the day with corrosive ammo. I had great luck with windex too. Ammonia is corrosive, but washes out the corrosive salts very easily, and it's easier to flush ammonia with plain hot water. Windex also has this tendency of coming from the store in handy spray bottles.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #28

Liked 83 Times on 66 Posts

I wasn't able to clean my guns because my stepdad and i cleaned them together and we use his kit, but i shoot more often and dont feel like bugging him so im going to make my own kit. My homemade gun kit will consist of 1 Medium sized tool box, everything will be m pro 7 the lube, the bore cleaner, the oil, solvent, some frog lube, ballistiol since those get the best reviews. Some patches a bore snake some q-tips And a couple tools gun tools like a brass punch and a toothbrush what else should i add??

Old 11-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #29

Quote:
I wasn't able to clean my guns because my stepdad and i cleaned them together and we use his kit, but i shoot more often and dont feel like bugging him so im going to make my own kit. My homemade gun kit will consist of 1 Medium sized tool box, everything will be m pro 7 the lube, the bore cleaner, the oil, solvent, some frog lube, ballistiol since those get the best reviews. Some patches a bore snake some q-tips And a couple tools gun tools like a brass punch and a toothbrush what else should i add??
go to WalMart and buy a universal cleaning kit for less than $20 and buy the chemicals you need right there. they have a variety of bore solvents and gun oils.

personally i think you are trying to overthink this. it's not that complicated.
People Like This 
Old 11-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #30
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3691 Times on 1776 Posts
Likes Given: 1816

First of all the Brass burshes will not harm your bore in the weapon. But it is always best to clean from the Chamber toward the muzzle. If you clean from the muzzle end there is a good chance you can damage to the Crown (The Riflings at the end of the barrel). So if you have a semi auto that prevents you from cleaning from the chamber to the muzzle use extreme caution when cleaning. I do not like Bore Snakes nor do I use them. Very few guys actually get them properly cleaned between usage and are just dragging grit and fouling down the bore. Also if you ever have one break in the process good luck. You will need a worm tip like you use to pull a ball out of a muzzle loader to pull it out. You can not push it out with a cleaning rod. To me there is no excuse for not properly cleaning and taking care of our weapons. First of all they are not inexpensive and if you take proper care of them they will give you trouble free service and last a lifetime. So here is in detial what I do. First I purchase a good quality cleaning rod like a Dewey which is coated to protect the bore of the weapons. You can use one rod for several calibers of weapons. For example you just can not use a 30 cal. rod on a 223/5.56 bore because it is to large in diameter. But if you have to you can use the 22/ 223/5,56 rod for the 30 Cal. as long as it is long enough! Then I use a Brass Brush or Nylon if I brush depending on the rounds I fire. Sometimes I just use Hoppes #9 or Shooters Choice Solvent only to clean all areas including the bore if I have only fired a few rounds and using jacketed bullets. Then dry everything off and then use a good lube like Break-Free (Do not forget to shake it up before using if it has set a long time) G-96 or other good quality lube to lube all the parts. If the rifle is going to be stored for a while I lube the inside of the bore. On shotguns and pistols I always lube the bore and wipe the excess out. On rifles if it is not going to be stored for a period of time I omit the lube step. And have never had a problem! I do not lube them if not stored becuase your first shot will always be off if the bore has any lubricant in it. Generaly 1"-2" high at 100 yards (Hydrolic effect of the lube in the bore) Then I wipe down the outside of the weapon with lube so it looks just damp. Whiping off all excess.
Glad you are cleaning your guns! Take Care!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 11-03-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This