How do you clean your guns? - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > How do you clean your guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 04:03 AM   #91
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 131 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
his small can of ballistol is going on 5 years I think.
I go through three or four small cans of BreakFree a year! Maybe I'm overdoing it just a tad...

Old 11-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #92

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisthecat View Post
I go through three or four small cans of BreakFree a year! Maybe I'm overdoing it just a tad...
Maybe not. A tiny bit of ballistol goes a very long way.

I try to keep my usage to the level that I'm only having to wipe off a very minimal amount. If I soak a single rag while wiping off excess, I feel I've used way too much.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #93
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1934 Times on 1340 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Quote:
Maybe not. A tiny bit of ballistol goes a very long way.

I try to keep my usage to the level that I'm only having to wipe off a very minimal amount. If I soak a single rag while wiping off excess, I feel I've used way too much.
What makes ballistol better than other stuff in your opinion?

Old 11-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #94

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post

What makes ballistol better than other stuff in your opinion?
I've used hoppes, remoil, standard issue CLP, militec, gear oil with ATF mixed in, some spray lube called safe cracker that downsouth gave me, some spray lube called Pen-A-Lube, spray on red grease. I've used the solvent tanks by the armory when I was in the service, as well as brake kleen. Frog lube.

This is by no means a fully comprehensive list of lubricants and solvents on the market, it's only the things I've used.

Notice anything missing? Dedicated cleaning SOLVENTS. I haven't used many dedicated cleaning solvents. Hoppes, the solvent tanks, and brake kleen, each to be used in conjunction with a stand alone lubricant, are the dedicated solvents I've used. I have, however, used combos that are supposed to clean and lubricate. They didn't really clean that well, but they served great as lubricants. Because of this, I gave up the "cleaning" oils, and have relied solely on the universal elbow grease and white cotton patches/q-tips. I also gave up on the dedicated solvents because crap starts to get expensive.

Ballistol seems to truly combine the two. It cleaned gunk out of my gun that I didn't even know was there (and I clean to white glove standards), and it left a coat of lubrication. And, I only used VERY little.

It's just the best I've used, in terms of ease and results... So far.

Last edited by trip286; 11-07-2013 at 03:21 PM.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #95
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I've used hoppes, remoil, standard issue CLP, militec, gear oil with ATF mixed in, some spray lube called safe cracker that downsouth gave me, some spray lube called Pen-A-Lube, spray on red grease. I've used the solvent tanks by the armory when I was in the service, as well as brake kleen. Frog lube.

This is by no means a fully comprehensive list of lubricants and solvents on the market, it's only the things I've used.

Notice anything missing? Dedicated cleaning SOLVENTS. I haven't used many dedicated cleaning solvents. Hoppes, the solvent tanks, and brake kleen, each to be used in conjunction with a stand alone lubricant, are the dedicated solvents I've used. I have, however, used combos that are supposed to clean and lubricate. They didn't really clean that well, but they served great as lubricants. Because of this, I gave up the "cleaning" oils, and have relied solely on the universal elbow grease and white cotton patches/q-tips. I also gave up on the dedicated solvents because crap starts to get expensive.

Ballistol seems to truly combine the two. It cleaned gunk out of my gun that I didn't even know was there (and I clean to white glove standards), and it left a coat of lubrication. And, I only used VERY little.

It's just the best I've used, in terms of ease and results... So far.
thank you. My current go-to for tough #%$& is Carbon Killer 2000, only as a solvent. But there's always a day when you'll need something "else".

Old 11-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #96

Liked 204 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 351

I searched the "Ballistol" site and this is the link to an article in American hunter this past July.:http://www.americanhunter.org/blogs/keepin-em-cleaned-and-oiled
I'm gonna investigate it some more also as they don't ship to Alaska but they have a dealer here "Great Northern Guns " that is a well known name here in Anchorage and throughout a lot of Alaska.

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Old 11-29-2013, 05:27 AM   #97

Liked 243 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I tried Tetra gun oil and it seemed to gum up my gun .

I use BreakFree CLP because a test published on Thegunzone.com showed it is great at preventing rust . It works on all guns as far as I can tell . You can let it sit overnight to loosen stubborn deposits .

1) Swab the bore with a wet patch . Set aside .

2) Use a wet patch to clean other areas .

3) Wipe down with a dry rag .

4) Run another wet patch through the bore , brush the bore, run a dry patch and a wet patch through . If storing, leave the bore oiled. If shooting soon, run a dry patch and put it away .

Note : Different guns need different care . To clean some guns from the breech end, you may need Otis or other cable-type devices . Glocks require little lubrication but 1911s need a lot .
Always keep oil from soaking into wood stocks .

Old 11-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #98
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2800 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 1623

I used to use Hoppe's to clean and then Rem oil to lube & protect.

Since switching to Ballistol, it is a cleaner, lube & protector, that is also environmentally safe enough to ingest if necessary (I don't recommend doing it) according to the manufacturer.

I've only used it for about eight years so far, but I haven't noticed any deterioration in my guns from only using Ballistol from start to finish. I also like the idea of not poisoning myself in order to maintain my equipment!

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:49 PM   #99

Liked 55 Times on 36 Posts

I use pre-saturated muzzleloader cleaning patches for shotguns, my muzzleloader and my dad's 870 slug gun. I still use no.9 and a patch for some guns but pre-saturated rem-oil cloths can be cut to size. Also, rem-oil won't harm the stock of the gun.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:34 PM   #100
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Open question

Does anyone use soaked muzzleloader patches to clean modern firearms? I like the way T/C sells them, ready to use.