Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > How do you clean your guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Default How do you clean your guns?

Noticed i haven't cleaned my guns in about a month I'm scared to use the brass / copper brushes that gun cleaning kits come with they are very stiff and i think over time i will ruin my barrels i usually clean my guns with my stepdad and he never uses the metal brushes we always used a bore snake with sliced up t shirt patches dabbed with some solvent and a little bit of lube or a big cotton ball looking thing and squeeze it in so tight that the bore looks like a mirror after about 3-4 passes im thinking about making my own universal gun cleaning kit for under 50$ how do you clean your guns and what do you use?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #2

Liked 322 Times on 178 Posts

To keep my answer short...disassemble firearm, spray Balistol on patches and wipe all over gun parts cleaning them, then spray Balistol inside barrel and bore snake it. Wipe everything lightly with dedicated t-shirt. Oil handguns during reassembly and grease shotguns during reassembly and Frog Lube paste AR bolt during reassembly then one last wipe down with t-shirt to remove fingerprints and then store in gun safe.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2650 Times on 1544 Posts
Likes Given: 1490

Basically, what indy36 just said. Balistol is outstanding and the only cleaner/lube I use. Checkout "hickok45" on youtube to see more on Balisto.

And, don't worry about using brass brushes on steel, steel is much harder than brass, it will not get worn down.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Old 11-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #4

Liked 374 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Let me get this straight. The violence of exploding powder forcing a bullet thru the bore is OK, but the bristles of a brass, copper or SS cleaning brush will ruin it? I'm curious how you connect those dots.
People Like This 
Old 11-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Let me get this straight. The violence of exploding powder forcing a bullet thru the bore is OK, but the bristles of a brass, copper or SS cleaning brush will ruin it? I'm curious how you connect those dots.
I wouldn't worry about the nylon, brass or copper bristles. With those it is the cleaning rod you have to be careful with.
The stainless brushes can do damage over time. I don't use them.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #6

Liked 375 Times on 212 Posts

I'm not worried about copper bristles OR the rod. Like someone else said, a copper jacketed chunk of lead flies out of that barrel with WAY more force than a brush could ever generate. Yeah, the walmart Winchester kits with the copper brushes are cheap, but I highly doubt they would release a product that could damage your barrel during cleaning.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 326 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 511

I use the brass brushes and have never noticed any problems. I use Remington’s Shotgun Cleaner, in the spray can, and also use a jag after I get the initial cleaning cloths ran through it. I have my cotton swabs oil soaked and run them through as my final pass before reassembly. I also take an oil cloth and wipe the outside down nicely before storage.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #8

Liked 375 Times on 212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg View Post
I use the brass brushes and have never noticed any problems. I use Remington’s Shotgun Cleaner, in the spray can, and also use a jag after I get the initial cleaning cloths ran through it. I have my cotton swabs oil soaked and run them through as my final pass before reassembly. I also take an oil cloth and wipe the outside down nicely before storage.
Almost my method exactly. Always worked for me. I like getting ideas from others too. I like mp7 pro gun oil. Haven't tried thier cleaner yet. I'm thinking of trying some of their foaming bore cleaner on my mosin.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #9

Liked 450 Times on 250 Posts

Not for nothin but bore snakes have brass bristles as well.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20861 Times on 11858 Posts
Likes Given: 52398

you wait a month before wanting to clean them, then are worried whether a brass bore brush is going to damage the bore? so you put away guns that are dirty?

i was taught to clean my guns after they had been used. i use brass bore brushes and a bore solvent, followed with a jag and clean patches. i repeat until the bore is clean.

as said, if jacketed bullet can be fired through the barrel, it's highly unlikely a brass bore brush is going to harm the bore.

cleaning and proper gun maintenance are just something i consider to be part of being a responsible gun owner myself.

People Like This