Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Hornady hot tub

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 76 Times on 46 Posts

Default Hornady hot tub

Anyone have one? I'm researching it and have some questions. I've written Hornady but haven't heard back yet.
I dont reload yet, but may in the future, so I'm thinking about how this thing would do on the rifle, handguns and parts.
Why two options in voltage?
Are they safe to use on cerekoted finishes?
They are not cheap. $435 +
Just wondering if they are worth the price

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #2

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have the Hornady 2 Liter ultrasonic cleaner, and it works very well. I am hard to please in this subject because I used heated industrial ultrasonic cleaners for surgical instruments in industry. So I know how they work, and how they should perform. If the 9 Liter unit you mentioned works as well as the 2 Liter unit I have, (and I expect it will) then I would say it is well worth the price, and only wish I had one, also.
A bit of advice: one does NOT need to discard the solution each time it is used. Simply allow the solution to stand undisturbed in a separate, tall container for a couple days, then decant the clean fluid off from the sediment at the bottom of the container. The solution is not what is doing the work; the ultrasonics do all the "heavy-lifting" and the solution is simply a "carrier", so to speak.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #3

Liked 76 Times on 46 Posts

Hornady responded. In previous tests, cerekoted firearms were not damaged. They recommend no heat and only 10 minute cycle.

The 110v is the one to use in America.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 631 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 406

this may be to late but I have one and was not pleased with it at all, it didn't get my brass cleaned on the outside, I like my brass shiny clean. I ended up buying the red tumbler from Midway USA and used the one shot solution and stainless steel pellets and after 2hrs later they where very clean and shiny, it worked so well to other people I know went and bought one. however I will use the ultra sonic cleaner to clean certain gun parts.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5108 Times on 2658 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1803 View Post
this may be to late but I have one and was not pleased with it at all, it didn't get my brass cleaned on the outside, I like my brass shiny clean. I ended up buying the red tumbler from Midway USA and used the one shot solution and stainless steel pellets and after 2hrs later they where very clean and shiny, it worked so well to other people I know went and bought one. however I will use the ultra sonic cleaner to clean certain gun parts.
sonic cleaners do not polish stuff they merely remove particulate matter from the object. brass can be ugly and unpolished and still be squeeky clean. brass can also be highly polished and dirty as hell.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-06-2013, 01:26 AM   #6

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What JonM said is true.
Plus, ultrasonic cleaners do not remove metal from parts, whereas tumblers do, if they do any polishing. They use an abrasive of some kind to remove the "tarnish" (dull metal). If they don't use an abrasive then the metal comes out as dull or duller than an ultrasonic cleaner. And why take the extra step of mechanically cleaning the primer pockets (when using a tumbler) when the sonic cleaner does everything at the same time?
Of course, this comes from someone who cares about function primarily, with appearance a distant second.