Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Hoppe's 9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I use Hoppes #9 primarily for bore cleaning and CLP for rest of firearm. Great stuff.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #12

Liked 258 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 362

I've used hoppes no9 bore cleaner < works good >

And gun oil on my dan wesson which the finish is very fragile and never had any issues.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:31 AM   #13

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Hoppe's #9 is sold as 'nitro powder solvent'. The primary purpose it does is to dissolve the residue of burnt gunpowder in the barrel, action and where ever else it gets. It's not bad to assist in removing jacket fouling and plastic in shotgun barrels. I use it for that purpose on both guns (and magazines) and on fired brass while I'm tumbling them to remove all the grit and gunk that wear out dies. Clean brass is also easier to inspect for cracks and such.

Once clean, a firearm needs both lubricant and some form of rust protection. "Oil" serves both these functions at once. But a little goes a long way. Some folks use a grease type lubricant on the fast moving rubbing parts, like slides to frame, bolts to receiver and operating rods; and then lighter oil on surfaces subject to rust and slow moving parts like interior clockwork of a revolver and the sear and such of a self-loader or rifle.

And a firearm needs to be scrubbed out every so often to remove all the congealed and - over time - dust impregnated oil residing therein. Moving parts do get sticky when not exercised regularly.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-13-2012, 03:39 AM   #14

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
Is it true that many women use Hoppe's #9 for perfume when they are looking for a real man?
If they don't, they should.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:45 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5244 Times on 2735 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
9mm. I havent gotten my 5.56 or the 22lr on me yet. So just the non user servicable 9mm. What do u think Jon?
Sorry i didnt get back to this thread. It wont help or hinder. Long as you arent shooting lead and sticking with copper jacketed a suppressor shouldnt need cleaning in the fashion a gun barrel does.

What you can do is run some water in there shake it up pour it out and rinse it real good then shoot it till it dries. Only if your can is rated for running wet. If its not rated for wet or not able to be disassembled it should never be cleaned with any liquid.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...