Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Gun Safe Moisture

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gun Safe Moisture

I have moisture acculationg in my gun safe and I heard that if I have a cup of rock salt, water will accumulate in the cup. Is this true? Anyone ever heard this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #2

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

i have never heard that but I just got a safe for Christmas and have had trouble in the past with that room getting dampness so I bought one of these:

http://www.cabelas.com/gun-safes-remington-mini-dehumidifier.shtml

I got it from a local store for 25 bucks, we will see if it works, requires no power, just hang it in the safe and when the indicator crystals turn pink take it out and plug it into a wall socket, it heats up and burns off the moisture and is ready to be reused.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 01-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #3

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4283

I usually just save the dessicants I get in new shoes or clothes and toss 'em in the safe...

De-humidifiers are great too but if you are in and out of your safe daily, they can only do so much...IMHO

Never heard of the rock salt thing but it would seem to me, if you have a humidity problem, adding salt to the air might not be so good...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
People Like This 
Old 01-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #4

Liked 87 Times on 66 Posts

I use kilrock moisture trap crystals from Amazon I have had same problem in past they really help. Make sure you refill every couple of weeks.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:38 AM   #5

Thanks guys . I have a dehumidifier but the beach is in my pack yard and I duck hunt a lot it crappy weather and I'm scared off getting rust.. all I have rust on is old 870 express from the 80s and it had spot on the.barrel. everything all my other rifles are fine and have been creaned every three weeks

Old 01-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StagArms View Post
Thanks guys . I have a dehumidifier but the beach is in my pack yard and I duck hunt a lot it crappy weather and I'm scared off getting rust.. all I have rust on is old 870 express from the 80s and it had spot on the.barrel. everything all my other rifles are fine and have been creaned every three weeks
You could also spray each gun with storage gun oil then put each one in a gun sock. I have remmington gun socks impregnated with silicone.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #7

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcshooter View Post
You could also spray each gun with storage gun oil then put each one in a gun sock. I have remmington gun socks impregnated with silicone.
I have always been told storing this way is a bad idea, the sock will trap moisture in as well as keep it out?

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 01-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post

I have always been told storing this way is a bad idea, the sock will trap moisture in as well as keep it out?
I always make sure I acclimatize the gun in the same room for an hour before I wipe down with dry microfibre cloth spray with gun storage oil let dry then put in sock. I have moisture trap dehumidifier in cabinet as well. This seems to work for me I always repeat process every few weeks or so whether I shoot them or not. I have to store my guns in attick and it can get quite cold up there, I have had pitting of the barrel on previous rifles in the past and found that this has worked best for me.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Salt, NO!
Imagine salt on the seashore or used on snow in the midwest. Rust everywhere.

Damp-Rid (at almost any hardware store or DIY center) will work.

You can also purchase dessicant from: http://www.mcmaster.com/#desiccant-bags/=kzpb7y

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

canebrake Likes This 
Old 01-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #10

Liked 37 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I live in the damp northwest and use a Goldenrod dehumidifier (http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com/) in my safe. It works surprisingly well. Since installing it I have had absolutely zero rust problems. My father in law uses the same thing in Seattle, and his safe is in an unheated garage. He's actually the one who recommended it to me.

I have no idea how that hole got there.