Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Gun Oil versus Gun Grease?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 01:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Gun Oil versus Gun Grease?

I have cleaned firearms for more years than I can remember. Funny how we get 'traditional' with brands of oil and solvent, etc. Lately, I have started using almost exclusively gun grease instead of oil. Of course there are some spots on firearms you have to use oil. I like the grease where I can apply it with a q-tip and it stays put! When I re-clean after use, my firearms are still being lubricated and the wear seems to be in check. I've been handed firearms from friends and family with oil dripping off!! Any others making this kind of move or am I behind everyone else?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #2

Liked 516 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Yep, I like TW25b made by Mil-Comm

Old 03-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #3

Liked 280 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is the perfect place fore me to ask my question instead of making a new thread. I just got my first 1911 and I was looking online at how to dissasemble it and clean it and lube. 99% of the videos and articles ive read say that they use gun grease. Ive never used this stuff, what are the perks to using gun grease vs gun oil? Thanks everyone.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #4

Liked 516 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk View Post
This is the perfect place fore me to ask my question instead of making a new thread. I just got my first 1911 and I was looking online at how to dissasemble it and clean it and lube. 99% of the videos and articles ive read say that they use gun grease. Ive never used this stuff, what are the perks to using gun grease vs gun oil? Thanks everyone.
I like to use grease on the frame rails that make full contact with the slide. I like this because it stays where you put it, and does not migrate to where you don't need it or want it.

I have found that sometimes a light oil can evaporate or dry out, leaving the slide unprotected. However the grease seems to last until the next cleaning.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Living in Florida my thought was the gun grease would tend to retain sand, but would be better protection against humidity. I spent many hours deciding to use oil. I can always clean and oil more often, but in a pinch a gun full of sand might fail me. Now with some firearms using looser tolerances I'm going through the same decision processes again. At this point I'm still leaning toward oil. The deciding factor is the ease of cleaning the oil off during normal scheduled cleaning. I am using a collectors grade oil that is supposed to last longer, but I'm not sure that is my best answer. I do know that I will never oil one to the point it drips.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #6

Liked 2373 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I lube everything with g96. Worked for dad. Works for me.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #7

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'm worried more about viscosity during the snow

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 03-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8587 Times on 3725 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Different lubes, different properties. I use grease for the rails of auto pistols, and things like the bolt roller on a Garand. When all else fails, see what the maker suggests. I use White Lithium- spray can. Spritz a q-tip. can wipe exactly where I want.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 03-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #9

Liked 280 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the input. Does it really matter what I use for the "break in" this is going to be my carry weapon so im gonna shoot 500-700 rounds through it with FMJ and various HP's to make sure its reliable. Or chose one and stick with it? I may just have to get a tube of this elusive gun grease and see how that works for me. And on another note, my wife was with me when I picked out my 1911. And shes been talking about getting one for herself for some months now. Shes very jealous of my new firearm. So I might suprise her today with a trip to a Lgs and pick her up a 1911 as well...... is this what everyone was talking about? How 1911's multiply?..... shes probally gonna trade in her jframe because shes not as happy with it now as she was when she first got it. So we will have to see today.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk View Post
Thanks for the input. Does it really matter what I use for the "break in" this is going to be my carry weapon so im gonna shoot 500-700 rounds through it with FMJ and various HP's to make sure its reliable.
This is according to Kimber when I was having all the problems with mine. The gun should be liberally lubricated with a gun oil. If you've ever seen the oil pack Kimber sends with all their new guns you will realize how ridiculous this next advice from them is. I was supposed to use the entire packet of Kimber supplied oil, or it's equivalent, every time I cleaned and oiled the gun. If I had been stupid enough to do that my pants and shoes would have indeed been waterproof.

When I opened the return package after their warranty repairs the firearm was sealed in a zip-loc type bag and literally had enough free oil to lubricate another dozen handguns. This is how they wanted me to lubricate and carry my defense sidearm. It was at that point that I realized they must not be a part of the real world. With as much oil as they had that firearm swimming in I would have been afraid to fire it.