FrogLube Question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > FrogLube Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default FrogLube Question

Okay, I did the very first initial application of frog lube the other day. I understand that after that I only have to brush off the debris. But when do you have to reapply it and what is that interval time?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #2

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

http://www.froglube.com/FL13/Directions.htm

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
Threetango Likes This 
Old 04-06-2013, 04:00 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

That's what I needed.. thanks

Old 04-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So I read the instructions on the link, and they are extremely vague. So what is the interval for reapplication? I cannot get that answer on that page.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #5

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I use Mobil 1 synthetic . I lube my bolt every time I hit the range . I have a red headed step child AR that was abused most of the summer , never cleaned , only lubed and we used what ever ammo people had . Steel, brass, fmjs, soft points , and hps . We ran some where between 6000-8000 rds thru is before ammo prices sky rocketed and we quit . Not one failure beside a few fail to fires " heavy primers in PMC ammo " it looked terrible , it was caked on oil, carbon and unburnt powder and it still ran like a top. Finally cleaned it over the winter . We never changed the gas rings or anything . Just lube it lightly when i hit the range . I don't suggest doing like I did and torturing it . But u don't need to clean it every outting unless your putting thousands of round thru it . We were just trying to make it quit and couldn't make it happen in over 6000 rds . Just lube the bolt regularly and it will be fine

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
ratpacker Likes This 
Old 04-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #6

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mobil 1 and keep the gimmic oils/grease for gifts to friends.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5123 Times on 1760 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
Mobil 1 and keep the gimmic oils/grease for gifts to friends.
I've found nothing gimmicky with Froglube and have been using it for a few months now with great results when applied properly.

It protects physically, not so much chemically. A PHYSICAL barrier is what it creates. If you are using it as a protectant, put it on THICK! I failed to do this initially testing it. Subsequently, it has done very well when applied properly for storage.

Froglube mixes and plays just fine with petrochemicals--the CLP contains about 50% petrochemicals in the form of PAO. Don't sweat about alcohol and all that, just change the weapon over to it, if you want. No magic here.

Froglube really does keep carbon from sticking--but equally as important, when FL burns off, it does NOT leave any ash or coked deposits behind.

To me gimmicky would be using a synthetic motor oil but different strokes for different folks.

It goes on most of my guns, to include my Sig MK25 226 and I reapply after about 200 rds fired.

NSDQ

Like it or not, when the chips are down and lives are at stake, an armed citizen can be the "first responder." People who don’t like guns invariably rely on people who have guns when their lives are in danger.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:27 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks, good to hear

Old 04-21-2013, 05:47 AM   #9

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

For the initial application I scrubbed my gun in alcohol. Then used a hair dryer to heat the gun up as I scrubbed in frog lube. Let it set for about a day. Then applied it that way again. Let it set another day, wiped it clean and haven't applied anymore in about 2 k rounds. All carbon wipes off easily. Gun is "dry" to the touch but you can see "wetness" when you get it hot. (God that sounds bad).

After the next range day I may see if I can get the metal to take more lube and let it sink in. But, as the instructions state, you will get to the point it won't take anymore lube. It'll set on top and after cooling you just wipe it off.

I love the stuff so far, then again I've only used it on a sig p229. I've gone maybe 300-400 rounds before wiping it clean with a micro-fiber. No problems at all and a clean gun at all times.

I also like that since it is "dry", I never have any lube stains on my shirts after a day of carrying hehe.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I love Froglube