Frog Lube - Opinions Please. - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Frog Lube - Opinions Please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 74 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 204

It's environmentally friendly. You could EAT the frog lube, but you can't consume the solvents... well unless.....

Old 12-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

I've been using it as a Post shoot lube for about a year now. Started wearing vinyl gloves with it because it peels the calluses off my hands. Outside of that it's great. Even works ALMOST perfectly on powder stains on revolvers!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 12-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1106 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Frog is a water based product? It has shown an ability to attract and grow mold. It has also shown the ability to fail, and allow etching of rust to attack metals.

Frog? I'm out.

I only use products proven to work on guns that have PTFE as a primary ingredient. Three come to mind, NRA lube, CLP available at Wal-Mart and loctite C5-A. C5-A is a grease. Glorious stuff! New Glocks are shipped with this on slides.

You put PTFE on a gun, and hell or high water can't harm it. Bullets can't burn it out of the barrel, slides can't wear it off no matter how long it has been between cleanings.

Like it easy and quick? CLP.

Want a more roughly cleaned gun? NRA lube systems.

Want something thicker to stay put? C5-A

Last edited by AR10; 12-30-2013 at 12:06 AM.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Frog Lube - Opinions Please.

I decided to try it on my 1022 me and some friends put about 600 rounds of non jacketed led bullets through it zero issues cleaned up really Nice .

And whoever said it grows mold on it I want proof. I don't doubt it being a biodegradable product

If I find mold on my gun the stuffs going straight to the garbage

Edit

Old 12-29-2013, 06:38 AM   #15
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm47nagiont
I decided to try it on my 1022 me and some friends put about 600 rounds of non jacketed led bullets through it zero issues cleaned up really Nice . And whoever said it grows mold on it I want proof. I don't doubt it being a biodegradable product If I find mold on my gun the stuffs going straight to the garbage Edit
I have been using it for over a year, but I am very "OCD" about cleaning. I use frog post shoot, and use remoil and or CLP pre shoot....
Used CLP on each new gun as it came into my possession....caught a "Tinge" of rusting last summer on the left side of my LC9 slide from the IWB holster, as gun was flat against my right side. Answer, pull up boxers to sit between flat side of LC and my side(of Gut) wiped it down real good and treated with some anti-rust/Rust remover bought at LGS,...no issue since...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 12-30-2013, 12:04 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Test videos of rust

New formula Frog Lube VS Mil-Comm

http://youtu.be/GBB82UIf3DU

Old formula Frog lube VS Mil-Comm

http://youtu.be/LtKkSRLQN_A

6 lubes VS one another

http://youtu.be/xwlLc2DcmQ0

Old 12-30-2013, 12:20 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2656 Times on 1850 Posts
Likes Given: 1354

Je ne comprends pas. Why is everyone picking on it? It's what you Americans call Kentucky Jelly, no? Ribbit.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #18

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The issues I had with it reliability wise, seemed to be user error. I followed the directions, but I don't think I put it on sparingly enough, or didn't wipe off enough excess. The first couple of shots while my gun was cold, I had a failure to return to battery. While it was warm, no problem.

I choose not to use a lubricant that I can **** up. Why should I when there are so many others that I've had no problems with? I currently use ballistol.

I see AR10 has brought up the rust issue. This was a huge deal to me. When using the latest and greatest cleaner/lubricant on your carry gun, it's very disheartening to find rust on it. Then someone mentioned to me here on the forum, to paraphrase since I can't remember word for word... "does it even claim to stop rust?"

Hmmm.... Does it? I went to the manufacturer's website. NO. It makes no claims at all as to preventing rust.

Is this a deal breaker? Well, it says in the instructions that once you use it, don't switch back to oil or petroleum based CLPs. Guess what is one of the easiest to find and use products that removes rust? Oil/petroleum based CLPs.

I live in a humid environment. Rust is my enemy on everything. I also work around Chlorine gas all the time, and it permeates my clothes and skin. EVERYTHING rusts around me. And, apparently I can **** up the application.

Therefore, I choose not to use it.

One thing I will say for it though, NOTHING sticks to that ****. NOTHING. If you use it, you can clean everything by simply wiping it down. But, ballistol has the same effect.

As far as whether or not you can eat it? I don't normally make a habit of eating my gun cleaning stuff. I DID spray some industrial penetrating lubricant in my mouth last year that ****ed me up for a couple of weeks, but it was entirely accidental. NOTHING tasted right. I lost ten pounds simply because eating was unappealing.

Last edited by trip286; 12-30-2013 at 12:37 AM.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
The issues I had with it reliability wise, seemed to be user error. I followed the directions, but I don't think I put it on sparingly enough, or didn't wipe off enough excess. The first couple of shots while my gun was cold, I had a failure to return to battery. While it was warm, no problem.

I choose not to use a lubricant that I can **** up. Why should I when there are so many others that I've had no problems with? I currently use ballistol.

I see AR10 has brought up the rust issue. This was a huge deal to me. When using the latest and greatest cleaner/lubricant on your carry gun, it's very disheartening to find rust on it. Then someone mentioned to me here on the forum, to paraphrase since I can't remember word for word... "does it even claim to stop rust?"

Hmmm.... Does it? I went to the manufacturer's website. NO. It makes no claims at all as to preventing rust.

Is this a deal breaker? Well, it says in the instructions that once you use it, don't switch back to oil or petroleum based CLPs. Guess what is one of the easiest to find and use products that removes rust? Oil/petroleum based CLPs.

I live in a humid environment. Rust is my enemy on everything. I also work around Chlorine gas all the time, and it permeates my clothes and skin. EVERYTHING rusts around me. And, apparently I can **** up the application.

Therefore, I choose not to use it.

One thing I will say for it though, NOTHING sticks to that ****. NOTHING. If you use it, you can clean everything by simply wiping it down. But, ballistol has the same effect.

As far as whether or not you can eat it? I don't normally make a habit of eating my gun cleaning stuff. I DID spray some industrial penetrating lubricant in my mouth last year that ****ed me up for a couple of weeks, but it was entirely accidental. NOTHING tasted right. I lost ten pounds simply because eating was unappealing.
It is easier to get people to understand why you might only date red heads, or drive Chevys, than get people to think about changing a favorite gun lube.

I think your post was well done, and might even get through to Ford drivers that date blondes.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #20

Just finished Frog Lubing a couple of my toys

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1391886121.994631.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk