Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Frog Lube

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 04:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 76 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Hey frog lubers! A guy at my LGS gave me a sample tube of froglube so I'm gonna try it out on my AR-15. I just went thru the process of degreasing everything, heating it up, applying coat, letting it cool for at least an hour, then wiping off the excess. I heard your gun is officially seasoned after doing this three times so my question is am I supposed to apply those three coats before going to shoot or am I supposed to apply, shoot, apply, shoot, apply, shoot? It looks so dry right now but doesn't feel dry when charging it...gonna have to get used to that. I'm used to seeing the bolt looking shiny and wet from other lubes I've used. I know the lube is designed to come out when it gets hot from firing tho

Last edited by LaiePoi; 02-05-2013 at 04:36 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-05-2013, 04:40 AM   #2
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 874 Times on 582 Posts
Likes Given: 223

I could look it up on the internet, but what does Frog do? CLP has PTFE, and I like lube products with that as part of the mix.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #3

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

How do you cure high carbon steel with Petro lubes?? Are you thinking of cast iron fry pans??

Old 02-05-2013, 04:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10
I could look it up on the internet, but what does Frog do? CLP has PTFE, and I like lube products with that as part of the mix.
Apparently when you heat up the metal and apply the frog lube the expanded metal (from heat) sucks it up like a sponge and when your gun gets hot from firing the metal expands again and releases the lube more and more making it cycle better the more you shoot. After it is "seasoned" it's supposed to form a barrier from carbon making it very easy to clean because the carbon should not stick anymore and you are supposed to be able to just wipe it of. No scraping even on the bolt. That's what I got from watching various vids and reading articles on it. Works as advertised as far as users have reported
Old 02-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #5

You should apply shoot,clean,apply shoot,clean apply shoot clean,then apply every so often,I like to put I dab on the barrel an slide before I shoot,have never had any problems and it really does make a huge difference cleaning everything,just simply wipe it down! Great stuff!

Old 02-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiltz1
You should apply shoot,clean,apply shoot,clean apply shoot clean,then apply every so often,I like to put I dab on the barrel an slide before I shoot,have never had any problems and it really does make a huge difference cleaning everything,just simply wipe it down! Great stuff!
Cool thanks. I just got a 4oz tub of the paste about a week ago. Ill prob pick up some liquid too

Old 02-10-2013, 01:30 AM   #7

Yeah,I like to run a drop on a patch an run it down the barrel after I clean it,just leave it in there,it really cuts down on clean up time. I've used it on all my guns and I'm very I'm pressed with it, but to each his own