Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Flitz®

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Flitz®

I want to polish the feed ramps on my Kimbers. Especially my Ultra TLE II. It's giving me some jamming problems. Maybe all my fault but still.

Should it be abrasive? They have a gun/knife polishing kit but I don't want all that. Thanks.

It was back in '32 and times were hard. He had a Colt 45 and a deck of cards; Stagger Lee

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. —Thomas Jefferson

Patriots are not revolutionaries trying to overthrow the government of the United States. Patriots are Counter-Revolutionaries trying to prevent the government from overthrowing the Constitution. --CA357

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #2

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Well 1st off i seriously doubt it will help with ANY problems your having--Look to your mags 1st for feeding issues.
If you want the ramp shiny use a very lite polish so as to NOT remove any metal- Just IMHO

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

bleak23 Likes This 
Old 11-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, Hossfly. I use three Tripp mags. They are brand new. Do you think they need to be broken in? And if so, how long? Till I don't have feed problems, I guess.

It was back in '32 and times were hard. He had a Colt 45 and a deck of cards; Stagger Lee

Patriots are not revolutionaries trying to overthrow the government of the United States. Patriots are Counter-Revolutionaries trying to prevent the government from overthrowing the Constitution. --CA357

Old 11-08-2012, 12:31 AM   #4

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

All polishing compounds are abrasive(even toothpaste). Flitz is a very mild abrasive. All polishing compounds remove metal, that is their function.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

bleak23 Likes This 
Old 11-08-2012, 01:13 AM   #5

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleak23 View Post
Thanks, Hossfly. I use three Tripp mags. They are brand new. Do you think they need to be broken in? And if so, how long? Till I don't have feed problems, I guess.
Before you go polishing the feed ramp, let's find out what your "jamming problems" are.

I'll bet it's a FTF (failure to go to battery). Excessive stem bind is more likely what is happening...or what is technically known as the "Three-Point Jam".

The three points are the binding between the breechface, the barrel throat, and the underside of the barrel chamber.

Call Aaron @ Tripp (877.837.9445) and tell him what you are experiencing. I suggest this because he will have much more knowledge pertaining to the Kimber than me. (I stay away from them Kimbers.) Tell him canebrake bets your barrel is "riding the link". (A lot of factory-built pistols now days have this condition.)

Is the gun new?

Have you made any Bubba mods to the piece?

Did it FTF with the Kimber mags?

If it is excessive stem bind, you'll need to get Kimber (unless your one year warranty has expired) or a gunsmith to fix the problem.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
bleak23 Likes This 
Old 11-08-2012, 04:33 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

Is the gun new?

Have you made any Bubba mods to the piece?

Did it FTF with the Kimber mags?
I bought them both in 03/11 when I had money.

No bubba mods yet, although I did change to Sarge's wood grips on the Custom CDP II.

Not as bad as now for the Ultra TLE II. I'll shoot some more with the Kimber mags and report back.

What is it that you don't like about Kimber's? I'm thinking the manufacturing process? Are the tolerances too random?

Last edited by bleak23; 11-08-2012 at 04:35 AM.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #7

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleak23 View Post
What is it that you don't like about Kimber's? I'm thinking the manufacturing process? Are the tolerances too random?
I think if a manufacture sells me an expensive product with life and death consequences, that product should include a warranty for the life of said, well kept item.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-01-2012, 05:24 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I think if a manufacture sells me an expensive product with life and death consequences, that product should include a warranty for the life of said, well kept item.
I've been meaning to do some research on this but it had "slipped my mind."

Well, it appears that you're right (no surprise). According to the Terms And Conditions Of Purpose (http://www.coltsmfg.com/Company/LegalInfo.aspx) it says...

Quote:
14. Indemnity Against Claims: Seller shall defend, indemnify and hold Buyer harmless against all losses on account of claims of injury to persons (including death) or damage to property which may result in any way from any act or omission of Seller or of its agents, employees or subcontractors. Seller shall also maintain such Public Liability, Property Damage, Employee’s Liability and Compensation insurance and Motor Vehicle Liability insurance (Personal Injury and Property Damage), as will protect Seller (and its permitted subcontractors) and Buyer from said risk and from any claims under any applicable Workers’ Compensation or Occupational Health and Safety statute or regulation.

Now you're "making me" want to sell my two Kimber's and by a Colt. Thanks.