Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Do i clean my new upper before i shoot it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 75 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Do i clean my new upper before i shoot it?

Are you supposed to clean the barrel and BCG before shooting it if it is brand new? Anything else need to be done to a new ar15 before use? I bought the upper already completed and built the lower myself. It's a Noveske Afghan SS barrel and Noveske BCG. Also is using ballistol on a SS barrel ok?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5108 Times on 2658 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Yes any gun that is new to you nib or used should be cleaned thoroughly before the first range session.

New guns are shipped with preserfatives in the barrel and on the inner workings. Used guns... whe the heck knows what original owner has done.

If they arent cleaned bad things can happen. Ive seen brand new guns violently disassembled on the range and the owner swear he didnt do nuttin. Oils left in a barrel from shipping can work just like plugging the thing with a foreign object

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 12-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Yes any gun that is new to you nib or used should be cleaned thoroughly before the first range session.

New guns are shipped with preserfatives in the barrel and on the inner workings. Used guns... whe the heck knows what original owner has done.

If they arent cleaned bad things can happen. Ive seen brand new guns violently disassembled on the range and the owner swear he didnt do nuttin. Oils left in a barrel from shipping can work just like plugging the thing with a foreign object
Good to know. Will do for sure!

Old 12-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

Are you supposed to lube the charging handle anywhere? I noticed a burning smell when charging the handle and I took it out and there is a long mark on the right side from rubbing so just wondering if that's normal or not. Here is a pic of it
image-637440231.jpg  

Old 12-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #5

Liked 1908 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 405

The charging handle will often rub in a few places. Not a big issue. The smell is from the propellent gasses being vented back undr the charging handle. When you charge it you can often get a big whiff of the smoke and gasses that were vented into the action.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5108 Times on 2658 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaiePoi View Post
Are you supposed to lube the charging handle anywhere? I noticed a burning smell when charging the handle and I took it out and there is a long mark on the right side from rubbing so just wondering if that's normal or not. Here is a pic of it
its normal. one of the bonuses of the ar15 is you get the full experience of sight sound touch and smell.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 01-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #7

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

I've never done that, and I believe that I've been missing an important step.

I just put an AR15 together. The upper was a complete assembly from PSA.
It has shot fine... but I think with the all the guns I've had, I've been very lucky/blessed!

Thanks for the info.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1107 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1979

Its just something I do whether it looks oily, dry new or used.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:25 AM   #9

Liked 137 Times on 100 Posts

I would recommend it, it helps get all the oil and gunk out, plus its good to know what's inside the bolt and the gun, helps familiarize yourself with it so if there is a problem, you have an idea of how that gun works. Just my two pennies, besides I love guns, I disassemble and clean and wipe mine done when im bored.

Bushmaster AR15 .223/556
Marlin Model 60 .22lr
Marlin 91V .17HMR
Hi Point .45
Mossberg ATR 30.06 (wifes)
Mossberg 702 .22lr (wifes)
NEF Pardner Pump 12ga (wifes)
Remington 870 12ga
H&R Topper JR 20ga
Mossberg 500 Slugmaster 12ga
Winchester Model 190 .22lr
Thompson Center Grey Hawk .54
Norinco SKS 7.62x39
1860 Remington New Army .44
Titan 22 short
Rohm RG Model 23 .22lr
St. Louis Hawken .50 cal
Kentucky Long Rifle .50 cal
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 20ga

Old 01-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #10

Liked 3679 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

I was always taught that a new gun can have metal particles from the manufacture. I was told by a guy in the know, that when guns are assembled and oiled at the factory, metal particles in the air adhere to the oil, since it's lubed up on the spot. Supposedly that metal can work its way into the barrel and scratch up the inside. My diesel engineering professor does the same thing with brand new cars. He makes the dealership change the oil before he drives it off the lot. Says that metal from the manufacturing makes its way into the oil and scuffs cylinder liners.

Don't know, nor do I care if it's true. Cleaning a gun should be part and parcel of thoroughly inspecting a firearm for defects and proper craftsmanship, before you fire it. I don't trust my face, or my eyes to some monkey on the manufacturing floor.

Also, Now that I'm a froglube fan, I want to strip the oils and cleaning solvents out first, so I can use my froglube.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...