Deep cleaning

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Deep cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 03:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Deep cleaning

My father gave me his old Marlin Model 80DL Bolt Action .22L-S-LR. It has a tube fed magazine. I cant find how to disassemble the bolt. What cleaner would be best to soak the whole bolt in since I cant disassemble it? I doubt very much it has ever been 'deep' cleaned.

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 375

If i was going to soak it anything it would be kroil oil

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Well 'soak' maybe a strong term. Looking at an old owner's manual for the before mentioned does not show/tell you how to disassemble the bolt. The complete bolt is on the parts list, which is probably not made anymore.

Looking into the bolt I can see the firing pin spring is very dirty with gun oil/grease and spend powder I want to get that cleaned out. Would spray saturation work then blow it out with compressed air be ok?

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."