Custom snap caps
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Custom snap caps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 297 Times on 190 Posts

Default Custom snap caps

I own several rifles I can't buy snap caps for.

I was thinking about trying to find a source for some form of nylon rod in a diameter close to the diameter of primers and inserting it into the primer pockets, and had a flash of insight that the hot melt glue from the glue gun might be a suitable alternative. I'm thinking of loading up a dummy round and filling the primer hole, and the sanding it flush.

Anyone have any ideas that are better?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #2

Liked 1333 Times on 893 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Actually, that sounds like a pretty good idea. Probably better than buying the commercial ones, even if you CAN find the caliber you need. Although, I would probably opt for a piece of nylon rod. If my lathe was currently running, I'd offer to turn some pieces to fit.
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:30 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

What I have done is cut an eraser down to size and put it in the primer pocket. Then seated a bullet on my reloading press. Just be sure to clearly mark the case somehow so you know it isn't live

Old 09-07-2014, 03:12 AM   #4

Liked 358 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

RTV silicone. When cured, trim them to just above flush to the case head with a razor blade.

For .22 rimfire, just use a #4 drywall anchor (yellow). Rotate to different positions and they will take multiple hits. The extractor will grab the rim and pull them from the chamber too.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:11 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 567 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

I have had problems with the eraser in the primer pocket method. Multiple strikes cause the eraser to divot and start going through the flash hole. I have taken used primer cups and seated them backwards in the pocket and then put in the eraser. That helps. The nylon seems like a better solution though.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 09-07-2014, 05:59 AM   #6

Liked 165 Times on 111 Posts

Erasers, nylon rod, glue, and silicone offer no resistance to the firing pin. It simply penetrates them.
Using stuff like this might make you feel better, but it does nothing for your firing pin.
A primer-sized piece of solid brass rod, held in the primer pocket with silicone might work.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #7

Liked 1333 Times on 893 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Agreed on erasers, glue and silicone. The nylon rod I bet would be about right, though. I think brass would be too hard, and it's not at all resilient. It'd dent, and stay that way. On the snap caps you buy, the primer inserts are soft enough to flex with your fingernail.
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Agreed on erasers, glue and silicone. The nylon rod I bet would be about right, though. I think brass would be too hard, and it's not at all resilient. It'd dent, and stay that way. On the snap caps you buy, the primer inserts are soft enough to flex with your fingernail.
I imagine nylon would crater the first time it is struck by the pin. I said solid brass, glued in with silicone rubber. The rubber would give the brass just a little give. The little sharp firing pin tip is travelling very fast- with a lot of force behind it. It will simply penetrate soft materials. When it does there is very little or no resistance-especially after the first time.
You want to replicate what happens when the pin hits a primer. Plastics, rubber, etc. can't do that.
On the surface, it seems that these things would work. But, when you really think about it, you can see why they won't.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:43 AM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 297 Times on 190 Posts

Checked the "primer" on a couple of snap caps today with a Shore A hardness tester. The snap cap "primer" measured 89.5-Ha. UHMW measures 101-Ha, (too hard). The hot glue stick I'm thinking of using measures a hardness of 93.0-Ha.

I think it will work. At least I'm sure enough to risk an old piece of brass finding out.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:48 AM   #10

Snap cap primers are not rigid. They are either sprung, or attached with an adhesive that gives, therefore you can't test the hardness properly.
I don't know what UHMW is, but hot melt glue will simply crater and offer no resistance.
You aren't risking a piece of brass, you're risking your firing pin.