Cleaning special finishes

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Cleaning special finishes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Default Cleaning special finishes

I have a pistol that is stainless steel, with some external parts (safety levers, trigger, hammer, slide stop/release, etc) plated with gold. As I have been led to believe, gold is pretty much inert, but I don't know if it is safe with solvents that dissolve copper. Does anyone know of any special considerations that apply for cleaning the gold plating? Is any ol' solvent OK?
Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think I'd stay away from copper solvent. Depending on the purity of the gold, it probably has copper in it along with some other metals as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored_gold

Old 02-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks! I expect that means that Hoppe's #9 should not be used, then.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:03 AM   #4

Liked 112 Times on 71 Posts

Gold plating does not contain copper. It's usually pure gold. Solvents won't hurt it.
Gold plating is extremely soft and it wears easily. Never use any kind of polish on it-even the ones that claim to be non-abrasive.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks, folks, I appreciate the input. I'm considering just cleaning the barrel, guide rod & spring assembly, and slide with something like Hoppe's, then carefully cleaning the frame (which contains the plated parts) with a rag soaked with more Hoppe's, being extremely careful to avoid getting any on the gold. Maybe Q-tips would help in keeping the solvent off the gold. It'll be kinda slow that way, and a clumsy stroke may get solvent on the gold, but I guess there's no easy solution.