Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > cleaning patches or cloth squares

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 124 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Default cleaning patches or cloth squares

I have a hard time buying these even though they are a cheaper accessory mainly because i have so many old t-shirts and white clothing products I think could be cut up to serve the same purpose.

growing up with delegated chores like dusting, i dont recall ever using store bought dust rags, just old tshirts or something similar.

do any of you use a household substitute for cleaning patches or do you buy the ones specifically sold for cleaning purposes? i'd rather spend my money on ammo

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #2

Liked 515 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Bolan
I have a hard time buying these even though they are a cheaper accessory mainly because i have so many old t-shirts and white clothing products I think could be cut up to serve the same purpose.

growing up with delegated chores like dusting, i dont recall ever using store bought dust rags, just old tshirts or something similar.

do any of you use a household substitute for cleaning patches or do you buy the ones specifically sold for cleaning purposes? i'd rather spend my money on ammo
I really don't see why you couldn't use an old t -shirt, isn't that what the cleaning squares are anyways?

Jeremy

Member: NRA

The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!” – Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Mack Bolan Likes This 
Old 01-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #3

Liked 124 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 213

yeah, that is what I would think, as long as you didn't use any pieces with dye or printing on them.

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Old 01-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1750 Times on 997 Posts
Likes Given: 3530

I have been buying the rag bags from Walmart and other LGS. I usually have a small netted zippered laundry bag, where I place the dirty rags to wash.

Another thing is using the old worn out white underwear, t-shirts, I cut them up into required size based on caliber.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I am not satisfied with small cut-out wads of material for cleaning. Been thinking of cutting up my cotton socks, t-shirts, and shorts. Maybe a towel or two.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5277 Times on 2752 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Before some one got the idea of prepackaging patches thats how guns were cleaned. Cut up old clothing or scrap material and use that. It was also common to use a piece of string with a bit of cloth tied to the end drop the other end down the barrel and pull. The bore snake isnt a new idea its how guns were cleaned before cleaning rods were common.

It was common to also use a chain to clean a gun. You had a metal chain smaller than the diameter wrap a cloth on one end drop the chain down the bore and pull. This was common turn of the century and the germans and some american units were issued cleaning chains

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-29-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #7

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I use rags for all my preliminary pulls, then finish up with patches. I have a one year old, so rags from stained onesies and bibs are plentiful.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:55 AM   #8

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

been quite awhile since I bought any cleaning patches. Just use old tee shirts or come home from some store that sells cloth/fabric by the yard with a piece of appropriate remanent cloth that cost me very little that I can make patches out of.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

The best "home made" cleaning patches are cut from old flannel bed sheets. Get a Fiscars wheel cutter and mat and make them any size you choose. A set of old sheets will make thousands of patches. They are better than cotton clothing since they do not ravel.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

At wal-mart in the paint area they have bags of white t shirt material for around $3, you can cut it to whatever size you need,there is a lot in one of those bags, last a long time.