Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Cleaning and Maintenance (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/)
-   -   cleaning patches or cloth squares (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/cleaning-patches-cloth-squares-82673/)

Mack Bolan 01-28-2013 03:05 PM

cleaning patches or cloth squares

I have a hard time buying these even though they are a cheaper accessory mainly because i have so many old t-shirts and white clothing products I think could be cut up to serve the same purpose.

growing up with delegated chores like dusting, i dont recall ever using store bought dust rags, just old tshirts or something similar.

do any of you use a household substitute for cleaning patches or do you buy the ones specifically sold for cleaning purposes? i'd rather spend my money on ammo :)

PC167 01-28-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mack Bolan
I have a hard time buying these even though they are a cheaper accessory mainly because i have so many old t-shirts and white clothing products I think could be cut up to serve the same purpose.

growing up with delegated chores like dusting, i dont recall ever using store bought dust rags, just old tshirts or something similar.

do any of you use a household substitute for cleaning patches or do you buy the ones specifically sold for cleaning purposes? i'd rather spend my money on ammo :)

I really don't see why you couldn't use an old t -shirt, isn't that what the cleaning squares are anyways?

Mack Bolan 01-28-2013 04:05 PM

yeah, that is what I would think, as long as you didn't use any pieces with dye or printing on them.

Bigcountry02 01-28-2013 05:41 PM

I have been buying the rag bags from Walmart and other LGS. I usually have a small netted zippered laundry bag, where I place the dirty rags to wash.

Another thing is using the old worn out white underwear, t-shirts, I cut them up into required size based on caliber.

PanBaccha 01-28-2013 08:40 PM

I am not satisfied with small cut-out wads of material for cleaning. Been thinking of cutting up my cotton socks, t-shirts, and shorts. Maybe a towel or two.

JonM 01-29-2013 01:48 PM

Before some one got the idea of prepackaging patches thats how guns were cleaned. Cut up old clothing or scrap material and use that. It was also common to use a piece of string with a bit of cloth tied to the end drop the other end down the barrel and pull. The bore snake isnt a new idea its how guns were cleaned before cleaning rods were common.

It was common to also use a chain to clean a gun. You had a metal chain smaller than the diameter wrap a cloth on one end drop the chain down the bore and pull. This was common turn of the century and the germans and some american units were issued cleaning chains

therhino 01-29-2013 07:32 PM

I use rags for all my preliminary pulls, then finish up with patches. I have a one year old, so rags from stained onesies and bibs are plentiful.

huffmanite 01-30-2013 03:55 AM

been quite awhile since I bought any cleaning patches. Just use old tee shirts or come home from some store that sells cloth/fabric by the yard with a piece of appropriate remanent cloth that cost me very little that I can make patches out of.

musketshooter 01-31-2013 08:04 PM

The best "home made" cleaning patches are cut from old flannel bed sheets. Get a Fiscars wheel cutter and mat and make them any size you choose. A set of old sheets will make thousands of patches. They are better than cotton clothing since they do not ravel.

whiskeypickles 01-31-2013 08:21 PM

At wal-mart in the paint area they have bags of white t shirt material for around $3, you can cut it to whatever size you need,there is a lot in one of those bags, last a long time.