Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Cleaning and Maintenance (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/)
-   -   Clean or Jipped??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/clean-jipped-87157/)

ugar-6 03-22-2013 01:57 PM

Clean or Jipped???

2 Attachment(s)
Guys, I usually clean my own guns and never see this afterwards. I dropped it off to have it cleaned before turkey season so that it could be completely broken down, cleaned, and reassembled before turkey season. The barrel looked clean to sight and there was lube in the receiver. However, when putting the rag inside the receiver, chamber, and the exterior of the mag tube and pistons underneath the foregrip, this is what I got. I didn't get anything off the bore snake when running it through twice so the barrel was cleaned. Also, I spoke with a friend who is a much bigger gun nut than I and he said it could be Kroil, which I've never used. I've never had problems with this gunsmith but I wanted to get more advice before I accuse them of not properly cleaning the gun as paid for. Thoughts?

gearhead396 03-22-2013 03:48 PM

Looks dirty to me I spray all my guns down with brake free well it's actually wearever non chlorinated brake parts cleaner 3.99 for a big can and I never have residue like that after re oiling. They may have tried to clean the whole gun but they didn't do a great job IMHO

dango 03-22-2013 08:01 PM

No one will take of your things better than you can..! How much..? It cost me $25 for a cleaning I didn't ask for , just wanted new sights installed. Flakes from FMJ,s and the slide was not on the back rails , a Glock , sweet..?

Don't pay for me to be lazy I guess..! No issue with the store though , it's the only closest around. Oh well , next time..! :confused:

Steel_Talon 03-22-2013 08:21 PM

When you pay for a service you expect that service to be done properly. Your rag indicates they missed some areas. If it is important to you then take the firearm and the rag back to the smith and have a polite conversation. What it seems is that he didn't get into the "nooks and crannies" to wipe away the residuals.

If he is a good smith he will at least reclean the firearm or offer a solution..

Kroil is good stuff! I mix 50/50 with shooters choice bore cleaner to clean my firearms

Tackleberry1 03-22-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ugar-6 (Post 1186143)
Guys, I usually clean my own guns and never see this afterwards. I dropped it off to have it cleaned before turkey season so that it could be completely broken down, cleaned, and reassembled before turkey season. The barrel looked clean to sight and there was lube in the receiver. However, when putting the rag inside the receiver, chamber, and the exterior of the mag tube and pistons underneath the foregrip, this is what I got. I didn't get anything off the bore snake when running it through twice so the barrel was cleaned. Also, I spoke with a friend who is a much bigger gun nut than I and he said it could be Kroil, which I've never used. I've never had problems with this gunsmith but I wanted to get more advice before I accuse them of not properly cleaning the gun as paid for. Thoughts?

6 years of Army Infantry Service here so I know a little something about cleaning firearms.

If your looking for "white glove" inspection clean... NO LUBE CAN BE USED.

I don't care how clean a gun is... any clean gun that's oiled will produce a black smudge on anything inserted into it.

Improper storage of military weapons in "bone dry" condition was a big pet peeve of mine but the attitude was "EFF EM"... If the silly ass BRASS is not smart enough to understand the stupidity of a white glove inspection then they deserve to appropriate a large percentage of there funds to replacing rusted gun parts.

Tack

mountainman13 03-22-2013 09:27 PM

Still waiting on what it cost and where it was done. ??

ugar-6 03-23-2013 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 1186669)
Still waiting on what it cost and where it was done. ??

$75.00 for complete breakdown, clean, and reassemble. It's a local shop to Athens, GA but I don't want to put the name out until I give them a chance to make it right.

mountainman13 03-23-2013 01:26 AM

Understandable and very fair of you. Imo $75 is a bit much.

mechsmith 04-05-2013 02:31 AM

What is a fair price?

mountainman13 04-05-2013 11:50 AM

I've never charged more than $50 for a cleaning and that was a muzzle loader with a stuck rb and a charge in it. ;)