Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Cleaning and Maintenance (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/)
-   -   Carbon Build-Up (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/carbon-build-up-89812/)

zaitsev44 04-30-2013 12:39 AM

Carbon Build-Up

I have a good bit of carbon build up on my M1 Carbine. I've gotten as much as I can but it seems to never end. I've used some Hoppe's No9 an some elbow grease and it seems to be helping but not much. Is there a product I can use to break down the carbon or help? The only thing I've shot out of it is 50 rounds of Tula (I know, I know, Tula is garbage and I didn't know until half way through the box) and it fouled it up so bad.

fa35jsf 04-30-2013 12:43 AM

I have found CLP works great. Clean, Lubricate, Protect. It's what the military uses for all of their modern guns. Should do just fine in yours. Great thing about it, it's an all in one stuff. If you have excessive carbon build up, put a healthy layer on and let it sit a day or two and wipe it off. Then add a very thin layer and leave on for protection.

fa35jsf 04-30-2013 12:44 AM

You can usually find it at Wal-Mart in an aerosol form (which I hate) or at Bass Pro Shops in a liquid bottle form. Get the liquid stuff, much less mess.

zaitsev44 04-30-2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fa35jsf
You can usually find it at Wal-Mart in an aerosol form (which I hate) or at Bass Pro Shops in a liquid bottle form. Get the liquid stuff, much less mess.

Great, thanks man, I'll look for it.

zaitsev44 04-30-2013 12:46 AM

I'm putting frog lube on it now for lubrication. How is it? I love it so far. Any comments?

fa35jsf 04-30-2013 12:59 AM

Frog Lube? Never used it but I have seen it at some stores. I stopped using normal gun oil ever since my guns would develop surface rust even after applying oil. Since I started using CLP I have not had that problem. Even in my humid environment.

zaitsev44 04-30-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fa35jsf
Frog Lube? Never used it but I have seen it at some stores. I stopped using normal gun oil ever since my guns would develop surface rust even after applying oil. Since I started using CLP I have not had that problem. Even in my humid environment.

Ok I'll pick some up as soon as I can. I don't have a Bass Pro or Cabelas near me, but I'll check online and Walmart. Thanks again

JonM 04-30-2013 05:36 PM

Walmarts stock clp. Great product for all in one. Dont shoot steel out of unchromed chambered guns like a m1. Well you can but expect it to have issues. Steel cases dont seal the chamber well and you get a lot of blowby into the action. Some coatings on steel cases can cause fail to extract depending on when the ammo was made.

Steel rounds can also expand and not contract leading to stuck cases in non chrome guns or even case head seperation due to excess force being applied to a sticky case during extraction. This can be a nightmare on a straightwall 30carbine case.

All else fails sonic cleaner will really do a number on impossible carbon buildup. Need to thoroughly oil immediatly after using a sonic cleaner

zaitsev44 04-30-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM
Walmarts stock clp. Great product for all in one. Dont shoot steel out of unchromed chambered guns like a m1. Well you can but expect it to have issues. Steel cases dont seal the chamber well and you get a lot of blowby into the action. Some coatings on steel cases can cause fail to extract depending on when the ammo was made.

Steel rounds can also expand and not contract leading to stuck cases in non chrome guns or even case head seperation due to excess force being applied to a sticky case during extraction. This can be a nightmare on a straightwall 30carbine case.

All else fails sonic cleaner will really do a number on impossible carbon buildup. Need to thoroughly oil immediatly after using a sonic cleaner

Ok that explains a lot. Thanks, I know why that Tula failed to extract now too. Thanks

kalboy26 05-03-2013 05:11 AM

I know a lot of guys that use break cleaner to clean there guns. Great solvent. Gets the carbon out real well, and its a lot cheaper. Just a thought. I think when my #9 runs out I will prob go that route.