Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Boretech Eliminator vs. Sweets or other Copper Cleaners for Copper Fouling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default Boretech Eliminator vs. Sweets or other Copper Cleaners for Copper Fouling?

I have an M700 308 SPS Varmint with about 100 rounds through it.

I've been using Boretech Eliminator and a nylon brush but the final patches never run through totally clean.

I did the barrel break in routine cleaning between every shot for the first 10 shots and then every 3 shots for the next five groups.

Should I try Sweets or something like Wipe-out?

Has anyone used Eliminator and then Sweets right after to see if Elimintor is really doing the job well?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #2

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I used to use Sweets but the ammonia base content of the stuff can damage your barrel if you leave it in too long. I think you have 10 or 15 minuets to get Sweets out of your gun before it etches the metals. I now use Wipe-Out on my 1000 yard target rifles. After 100 or so rounds I spray the foam down the barrel and let sit for 1 hour. Then I use nylon brush and gently scrub the barrel before I patch it out dry. Then I treat the barrel again with Wipe-Out and let sit overnight. Patch it out next day after work and put gun away. I remove the muzzel brake and let it set overnight as well in Wipe-Out. Also use Carb-Out and let it sit overniget mostly to soften the carbon build up on the crown due to the use of the brake before I gently scrub it off. Stuff has worked real well for me.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks mrm14 I think I'll try the Wipe-Out. I've seen some good comments about it on other forums as well.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 07-16-2012, 01:08 AM   #4

Liked 129 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I've tried quite a few cleaning concoctions and have found bore-tec products put the others to shame. A major bonus is that it doesn't knock you on your ass and toast your grey matter. I use the C4 carbon remover and the Cu+2 copper remover after the C4. Never tried the eliminator but between the other two, like I said, they make everything else seem like dish soap.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMormon View Post
I've tried quite a few cleaning concoctions and have found bore-tec products put the others to shame. A major bonus is that it doesn't knock you on your ass and toast your grey matter. I use the C4 carbon remover and the Cu+2 copper remover after the C4. Never tried the eliminator but between the other two, like I said, they make everything else seem like dish soap.
Thanks for the suggestions man, I may give those a try as well.

It's great to able to clean the guns in the house with those products because there is almost no detectable odor.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 07-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #6

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Since I switched to Bore Tech Eliminator I've gotten rid of all of my other bore cleaning solvents. Bore Tech Eliminator works better, doesn't smell, and most important, won't damage your barrel! In fact the stuff has rust inhibitors in it. I've used it in barrels that were previously cleaned with Sweet's that I thought were clean. After running a patched soaked with Bore Tech Eliminator through the barrel, the patch came out green. That told me right there Bore Tech is superior to Sweet's for copper removal.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 114 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Would Boretech be safe to use on a pistol slide? Sorry, very new to firearms and when cleaning my P250 a couple hours ago noticed some (I'm assuming) copper residue on the inside of the slide starting at the muzzle and going back about 3/4 of an inch. Tried Hoppes and a brass brush, but was worried I was just going to grind the finish off, so stopped scrubbing after a few passes.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1607 Times on 838 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

This video may be enlightening.

In The Lab: Did They Eat Copper/Lead? Final 3/3

It's the results part of a three part video on firearm cleaning materials.
The results start at about 29 minutes in.

Last edited by Vincine; 08-01-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #9

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisthecat View Post
Would Boretech be safe to use on a pistol slide? Sorry, very new to firearms and when cleaning my P250 a couple hours ago noticed some (I'm assuming) copper residue on the inside of the slide starting at the muzzle and going back about 3/4 of an inch. Tried Hoppes and a brass brush, but was worried I was just going to grind the finish off, so stopped scrubbing after a few passes.
What you are seeing on your pistol slide is a copper impregnated grease. Several factories including Glock use a product called Loc-Tite C-5A. It is a copper based anti seize compound. They do this as an initial lubrication to prevent any galling of the slide in any areas that it might be tight. It would not be wise to remove it until after you've fired a few hundred rounds through the weapon. And then replace it with a suitable grease or oil. Or you can buy the product yourself and reapply it. It has many uses related to firearms, like threads on removable shotgun chokes. This is the product.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/sid=65721/pid=39532/Product/Loctite-reg-C5-A-reg-Anti-Seize-Lube?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=nextag&m c_id=s8001&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c291_a_7c734_a_7c74 9001855_d_749102006_d_5543

Old 08-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 114 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Thank you kindly for the info, very much appreciated! Glad I stopped back by here before spending a ton of money on Amazon ordering every copper cleaner I could find!