Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Cleaning and Maintenance (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/)
-   -   Boresnakes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f168/boresnakes-91673/)

zackthatsit 06-03-2013 04:04 AM

Boresnakes

So I've heard all the hype about them so I went to get one for my .22 rifle and when I went to pull it through the very beginning part the actually cleans (before the wire) was just a little too big to where it was impossible to pull through and yes It was a .22 snake haha. Has anyone else had this problem or was it just a bad one

TheoShooter 06-14-2013 10:04 PM

They are very snug. Just drop the weight through the barrel and then tug it through. Never have seen one not work. They are pretty good for a quick cleaning.

ScottA 06-14-2013 10:31 PM

They are supposed to be pretty snug, but I've never had one that didn't go through.

Rick1967 06-14-2013 10:42 PM

Yea I have to pull hard on my 22 one. The pistols are not so difficult. But the rifle is much longer so more resistance.

HankStone 06-14-2013 11:31 PM

Cleaning a 22 barrel is fruitless the barrel is coated with lead and never needs cleaning,it will never rust because of the lead coating,22 bullets are made out of lead not,and the powder and primer are non corrosive correct,so why waste your time,just wipe it down with a slightly oiled rag,for semi autos the action must be cleaned periodically or the third round will stovepipe,all the time!

Fisherking 06-17-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HankStone (Post 1276598)
Cleaning a 22 barrel is fruitless the barrel is coated with lead and never needs cleaning,it will never rust because of the lead coating,22 bullets are made out of lead not,and the powder and primer are non corrosive correct,so why waste your time,just wipe it down with a slightly oiled rag,for semi autos the action must be cleaned periodically or the third round will stovepipe,all the time!

When the lands and groves get full . It will act like a smooth bore . My groups tighten up after I pull a bore snake through it .
But thats just my observation .

HankStone 06-17-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fisherking (Post 1278776)
When the lands and groves get full . It will act like a smooth bore . My groups tighten up after I pull a bore snake through it .
But thats just my observation .

Point taken,we all treat our girls differently so be it.,

trip286 06-17-2013 05:30 PM

All brushes are slightly oversized to make them contact the bore well.

If you notice, even with regular brushes and rods, the smaller diameter bores are very often much more difficult to pass through than the larger diameter.

This is because the bristles are shorter and don't flex as easily.

HankStone 06-17-2013 09:14 PM

"In my thinking"Once we score/scar the lead coating of a rim fire 22 barrel,with a bronze brush,it takes many-many rounds to bring her back to point of aim accuracy."Just only from my experience so please don't shoot me guys".OK?

Fisherking 06-18-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HankStone (Post 1278939)
Point taken,we all treat our girls differently so be it.,

Sorry didnt meen to flame u . U need to shoot in the barrel even with a change of amunition . Each type of 22 lr has their own type of coating on it . When changing amo u need to fire 10-20 rounds through it to start seeing the acuracy of the round