Bore Guides?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Bore Guides?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 02:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bore Guides?

Many of us (includiong myself) probably dont see too many technical issues with cleaning a rifle barrel but i came across the break-in procedure by a guy named "Speedy" that is supposidly a well known gunsmith as well as a serious target shooter and in the article, they were gung ho on using a bore guide, and talked about how carelessly using a regular rod with no bore guide has damaged even new barrels to the point that accuracy suffered under 100 rounds. They scoped barrels to show what damage was done and it made me want to do all they recommended after i got through reading. Now i am the gullable consumer once again and am wanting to go buy all this stuff. Take a look:

http://www.rifle-accuracy-reports.com/barrel-break-in.html

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-01-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Bore guides work really well if your using jags. Not so much that it matters if your using ye olde loop to hold patches.

I use jags and bore guides. The jp guides are superb for ar15.

Brushes jags loops one way only from breech to muzzle. No scrubbing

Never heard of "speedy" till you brought him up.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-01-2012, 04:30 AM   #3

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Bore guides work really well if your using jags. Not so much that it matters if your using ye olde loop to hold patches.

I use jags and bore guides. The jp guides are superb for ar15.

Brushes jags loops one way only from breech to muzzle. No scrubbing

Never heard of "speedy" till you brought him up.
I HAVE heard of him. If I could catch him id blow his poser butt to the next week. He is one of them that gives gunsmiths a bad rep. He spouts what his betters have said and claims it as his. The guides do work awesomely no doubt about that. But they don't seem to make as big a difference as they claim.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #4

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've pretty much converted to using guides on my target guns.

Hunting guns get the standard though.

Either way is breech to muzzle only.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 11-03-2012, 12:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
I HAVE heard of him. If I could catch him id blow his poser butt to the next week. He is one of them that gives gunsmiths a bad rep. He spouts what his betters have said and claims it as his. The guides do work awesomely no doubt about that. But they don't seem to make as big a difference as they claim.
I know dude. that article was getting on my nerves because they refered to barrels as if they are as fragile as a flower. i know the rifling can be damaged with carelessness but if all they say is true, i probably dont have a single gun with a good barrel. i have never used guides but i have always used good one piece rods and premium brushes with no sharp edges.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:05 AM   #6

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEHunter

I know dude. that article was getting on my nerves because they refered to barrels as if they are as fragile as a flower. i know the rifling can be damaged with carelessness but if all they say is true, i probably dont have a single gun with a good barrel. i have never used guides but i have always used good one piece rods and premium brushes with no sharp edges.
Good rods and brushes make all the difference. Bore snakes as well

Old 11-05-2012, 12:57 AM   #7

well, i bought one anyway. I didnt get the one that the "speedy" article raves about but it is pretty handy. Im not sure exactly how much it protects the barrel from my nylon coated rod but i will say this- it sure does do a good job in keeping all solvents and oil from getting in the action. the rubber o-ring fits snug in the chamber and all fluids are restricted to the barrel. its worth it to me for that alone.