best time cleaning a gun tonight...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > best time cleaning a gun tonight...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 02:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default best time cleaning a gun tonight...

Now, I know this title may sound odd to some...but tonight I field stripped and cleaned a Winchester model 12 produced in 1947. I do not think it had ever been stripped and cleaned. I also don't remember a time that I enjoyed cleaning a shotgun so much. I have a mossberg 835 but cleaning this was alot different. The craftsmanship of this firearm is amazing. I will not be firing it much as it seEMS to have a cycling problem...but it is beautiful. It could use some restoration but I think I am going to leave it as is for now..it has a lot of character! For those interested in the specifics. Complete hoppes #9 and nylon brush to remove years of funk from the action. Removed the butt stock and cleaned the back of the receiver and the stock set screw of some minor corrosion. The action is as smooth as butter now.

As for future on this one....I need some background on restoration. If I were to sand down imperfections on the but t stock and refinished...or was to have it reblued...would this hurt the value of this firearm? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-28-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 871 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 81

I have nights like that, but after this weekend, I am just to tired to do anything!!

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Old 05-28-2013, 02:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
I have nights like that, but after this weekend, I am just to tired to do anything!!
Big weekend here as well. I did not get to shoot this weekend..but this was just as theraputic

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Last edited by apwvsd40ve; 05-28-2013 at 03:00 AM.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #4

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Leave it stock. Save your $$ to buy another gun.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Depending on condition etc. you're dealing with a $1200+ gun. If you improperly restore it you'll be holding a nicer looking $120 gun. Leave it alone.
I had one in the shop and a collector came in. The stock had been professionally cut to shorten length of pull aside from that it was mint. The collector wasn't interested in the gun @ $900 just because of the alteration. He even said the price was great but not being 100% original he passed on it.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Depending on condition etc. you're dealing with a $1200+ gun. If you improperly restore it you'll be holding a nicer looking $120 gun. Leave it alone.
I had one in the shop and a collector came in. The stock had been professionally cut to shorten length of pull aside from that it was mint. The collector wasn't interested in the gun @ $900 just because of the alteration. He even said the price was great but not being 100% original he passed on it.
I thought that was the case....it was not gently used in its day. It was my grandfathers...and he and his boys USED it. The butt stock is scratched up and finish wearing off of the bottom...the receiver has some mild corrosion, and the bluing has faded significantly around the action and base of the barrel and mag tube...hence the reason for my question..lol. With that said, I would not hesitate to shoot this shotgun.. But wondered if restoration to improve appearence would ruin value. Thank you for the info!!!

-AP

― Thomas Jefferson

― Alexander Hamilton