Best cleaner and or lubricant - Page 15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Best cleaner and or lubricant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #141
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1946 Times on 1350 Posts
Likes Given: 994

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
my understanding is ONLY for stainless steel! they say it will remove blueing!
It is true. Lead cloth is just what you need to remove the ugly coon eyes outside the chamber holes. It will only remove bluing if you rub long and hard, but a good idea is not to use it on the exterior. (Which isn't necessary anyway) It also works well on cemented crap around the forcing cone, just push it with a brass (not steel) tip. Run a small patch some time through the bore when you think it is clean. You will be surprised how much more residue the lead cloth will pick up.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #142
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I stay away from the following:
1-Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber and Bore Cleaner in 16 oz aerosol can-product itself seems to works well but after one or two uses the cans will no longer spray. I think the actual solvents destroys the plastic buttons. I must have half a dozen half full cans of the stuff. Shame because the Gun Scrubber takes off most of the crud and works well on synthetics
Ivan
the Gun Scrubber is safe for plastic, as you mentioned, so there's no reason it would destroy its own spray nozzle. Perhaps you got a bad batch (past expiration date??) that hasn't enough propellant left. I have used tons of it. There is a different problem with it, it is pungent and ultimately toxic. I only use it when pure alcohol doesn't cut it, only outside, a short burst away from me.
Quote:
2-Tetra Gun Grease-It works well and keeps a gun slick feeling and easier to clean after shooting...so use to use it on all my semi-auto guns and even AR15's. This stuff turns into thick and gritty surface if left in a very dry safe for 3-4 months. It was hard to get off most guns and I will swear it destroyed a Sig Mosquito slide and barrel. I don't use it anymore. I just use regular Hoppes lube or M-Pro 7 lube for carry guns and Birchwood Barricade if putting guns away for an extended period
No grease needs to be used inside a semiauto, and especially an AR, except maybe for long term storage. Oil, yes, in moderation. Solid grease, maybe a nanogram on the slide rail, but not anywhere else.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #143
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 358 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 645

CLP. Nuff said!

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #144

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
Hoppe's Elite for cleaning. RemOil and Tetra Gun Grease for lube. Does a great job.
Best advice yet !!!!!! And yes i am a gunsmith

Old 10-14-2013, 12:26 AM   #145

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

CLP is real good for destroying a weapon the mil uses it cus its cheap as hell

Old 10-14-2013, 01:01 AM   #146

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator
Ivan the Gun Scrubber is safe for plastic, as you mentioned, so there's no reason it would destroy its own spray nozzle. Perhaps you got a bad batch (past expiration date??) that hasn't enough propellant left. I have used tons of it. There is a different problem with it, it is pungent and ultimately toxic. I only use it when pure alcohol doesn't cut it, only outside, a short burst away from me. No grease needs to be used inside a semiauto, and especially an AR, except maybe for long term storage. Oil, yes, in moderation. Solid grease, maybe a nanogram on the slide rail, but not anywhere else.
I must have 3-4 bottles of the gun scrubber and bore cleaner that I bought in the triple pack at different times all in 3/4 or 1/2 full state. Maybe you are on to something with the bad batch. I agree with your point about how good it works....and I only blast parts in the yard. I smells worse than brake cleaner...which I use to use before Gun a Scrubber.

I started using the grease after buying my first Sig which use to come with Mil-Comm TW-25B sampler in the case. When I shopped for a suitable replacement they gave me the Tetra as suitable alternative. I only applied it and spread it to semi transparent layer on the slide rails and top of the barrel.

I clean the carrys at least every time I shoot them and all other guns are on a 3-4 month rotation for a good once over and fresh lubing. Personally-I love cleaning as much as I like shooting so grease was overkill for me.

I am curious to see if anyone had used an ultrasonic cleaner to break up the crude on their guns. Been watching YouTube videos for weeks and I am curious enough to buy one to clean brass and small parts on pistols.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:56 AM   #147
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have a small ultrasonic cleaner. I use it for steel parts such as recoil spring assemblies, handgun barrels, AR bolts, etc. No miracles but it does help loosening up dirt a bit. I avoid bathing painted or fiber optic or tritium gun sights, or anything that might fade.

Had doubts about aluminum. Talked to a lot of people. One swore that they used u/s to clean missile parts. Another said he had witnessed turbine blades crumble after an u/s bath. So I do a gentle cycle sometimes on unfinished alloy parts, but not on anything exterior. I did see discoloration on a Beretta 92 alloy frame, not positively because of the u/s but I would not test it again. Brass is fine, as is steel.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:08 AM   #148

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
I have a small ultrasonic cleaner. I use it for steel parts such as recoil spring assemblies, handgun barrels, AR bolts, etc. No miracles but it does help loosening up dirt a bit. I avoid bathing painted or fiber optic or tritium gun sights, or anything that might fade.

Had doubts about aluminum. Talked to a lot of people. One swore that they used u/s to clean missile parts. Another said he had witnessed turbine blades crumble after an u/s bath. So I do a gentle cycle sometimes on unfinished alloy parts, but not on anything exterior. I did see discoloration on a Beretta 92 alloy frame, not positively because of the u/s but I would not test it again. Brass is fine, as is steel.
And before you go u/s check your solvent that you use to see how long a soke should be and make sure you use a very high grade lube after

Old 10-14-2013, 02:31 AM   #149

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw206
CLP is real good for destroying a weapon the mil uses it cus its cheap as hell
I have been using It for years and have not seen any negative effects on any of the firearms I use it on... Is there proof of this?

Join The NRA And Protect Our Rights

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-14-2013, 03:12 AM   #150

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCody View Post

I have been using It for years and have not seen any negative effects on any of the firearms I use it on... Is there proof of this?
Yes there is look at mil rifles and pistols over time of being cleaned in that junk every day better yet take a gunsmithing corse or talk to someone who goes to competitions ( clp was made for combat use only and in a combat situation it shines ) but at home as a main cleaner / lube not so much it leaves behind way to much and is simply not good enough to do what you ask of it