automotive grease? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > automotive grease?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kid

That is a myth. Here is an experiment on that issue.

The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers - Page 2
Thanks! I was kinda starting to freak out about it. Im still gonna remove the wd40 tho just because i dont care for the thinnes of it and how it tends to "creep" and get to places i dont want it to.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #12

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

BS!

any light petroleum distillate AKA wd-40 will seep into an unsealed case mouth or primer pocket. Regardless of what some Guy said on YouTube.

Wd-40 and Rem oil are inadequate options for firearm lubrication.

Automotive grease has perfect applications for firearm lubrication. Bolt lugs, frame rails... anything that slides. If it rotates, a quality oil is needed. Militec, G96, CLP, Triflow, etc.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 11-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #13

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Regardless of what some Guy said on YouTube.
You do realize the irony here? You are the one simply making a claim; the Guy on YouTube came with evidence.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #14

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kid View Post
You do realize the irony here? You are the one simply making a claim; the Guy on YouTube came with evidence.
You assume I came to FTF to learn. Maybe you assume im some schlub when it comes to guns.

Either way, this is not the case.

I am extremely versed in all things guns, especially ammo. I have also done extensive ammo testing. Something as simple as leftover lube or solvent in a cleaned chamber or breech face is enough to have degrading effects on primers or powder charges.

I speak from first hand knowledge. Nor from what I heard someone else say.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 11-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2721 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1385

Savageshooter,

Reference the viscosity of the oil (Grade) we use the Mobile 1 Synthetic 5X50 due to the fact of its consistency and the fact it is thick enough to lube the working parts and exterior and stay on the rifle or parts. In extremely cold climates one might want to consider a lighter consistency like 5W30 for example in those periods. But it works fine and is inexpensive for the amount of lubricant it makes. As far as the W-D 40 there will never be any used around my weapons. Were the primers in the YouTube test crimped primers, sealed primers who knows. But I do know that if you have a bolt or fastener which is rusted solid in a part that WD-40 being penetrating oil for which it was designed gets down inside the threaded hole if allowed to be left on the part. So no gambling on my part! Only takes one time! I would not worry about my bolt too much. I would just set it up in a vertical position locking lugs on the bench and let it set overnight or for a day or so. If there is an abundance of WD or other lube in the inside of the bolt it will run out through your firing pin hole and it might then be wise to disassemble your bolt. If it does not run out there is not enough in there "if any" to hurt anything.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 11-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #16
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3095 Times on 1779 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

WD-40 (Water Displacement formula, 40th attempt): http://www.wd40.com/about-us/history/

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #17

Liked 2567 Times on 1669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie
I use Mobile one to lube guns with. Grease just traps dirt.
Not trying to be argumentative, but anything not dry will attract dirt, be it oil, grease, water, etc.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 12-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2119 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 793

If a gun is locked in a safe, in a case or both dust shouldn't be an issue. In a safe rust shouldn't be an issue. High end safes have a dehumidifier built into them. If you have a cheapo gun cabinet/safe you can put a small light bulb in it on a timer so it only runs a few hours a day to control the climate in your gun cabinet/safe. If you clean your hunting rifle and use any popular gun oil it should remain rust free for around 6 months. I hope you get your hunting rifle out for a little plinking at least a couple times during the summer. Then you wipe it down before putting it back in the safe.

I am fond of slipstream weapons grease. it's expensive it costs about $16 a year to grease all my guns. If I am going to cut corners it's not going to be on the maintenance of my guns. Yes, auto lubricants will keep your gun rust free and operating under controlled conditions.

But when you travel you might forget to pack your auto lube and borrow some high tech gun oil from a friend. When you mix the two products you have some form of slime running out of your gun for days. This slime will not leave you a happy hunter. It is easy to justify the cost of gun oils to prevent one incident similar to what I just mentioned. I bought my guns to make my dreams come true. I hope everyone here owns a gun for the same reason. Your dreams being smashed by improper maintenance is not a good experience.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:17 AM   #19

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

Usually, when I store my guns for a long period, usually winter, I use a lurking wheel bearing grease and apply sparingly with a q-tip. When I take the gun out again I clean it with Breakfree CLP before shooting it.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:54 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

I would not consider WD 40 or Remoil to be gun lubricants at all. Remoil is one of the most useless things ever marketed to gun owners.

Mobil 1 5W30 is damn good at lubricating guns. Castrol Syntec is pretty darn good too. Neither is the best at rust prevention. I use the silicone wipe from Senty Solutions for exteriors.

WTS, the BEST gun lube I have ever used is Machinegunners lube from Sprinco. I have seen Sigma trigger pulls reduced from 12 lbs to 8 lbs by detail cleaning and proper application of that stuff!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball