Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > automotive grease?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default automotive grease?

I have a couple rifles that i dont do much with when its not deer season and i was wondering if i could coat them in a thin layer of automotive grease to protect them before and during season? And if it isnt good for the rifles what cheap alternative are there? Any feedback is appreciated

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2132 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

No need for grease! Just clean them and leave a light coat of good gun lubricant on them. And be sure to run a patch with lube through the barrel and then run a dry patch through it "one time" to take out the excess. If they are kept in a dry area that is all you need to do.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 11-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
No need for grease! Just clean them and leave a light coat of good gun lubricant on them. And be sure to run a patch with lube through the barrel and then run a dry patch through it "one time" to take out the excess. If they are kept in a dry area that is all you need to do.

The gun lubricant is what i was wondering about replacing. I normaly use rem oil or wd 40 when i run out of rem oil but i get tired of paying such high dollar for that stuff when i have a full grease gun sitting in my garage.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2132 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

Just a hint! You should never use WD-40 on a firearm. If there is any residue left in the chamber area since it is a penetrating oil. It can get into the primer pocket well on the round and cause them to have inadequite or no ignition. The other issue is RemOil. Even though it is good lubricant for the right application you realy need something a little thicker with a little more lubricity. Example "Breakfree!" But be sure to shake it up before using. It will seperate if left on the shelf for a long period. G-96 is great stuff. But if you are on a budget and want to make some excellent lube. Go to Walmart or other store and buy you one of those real small 2 cylcle gas cans that will hold at least a Quart and a half. (Usually Red Plastic) Then buy 1 Quart of 5W50 Mobile One Synthetic Motor Oil and 1/2 Quart of Mobile One Synthetic Transmission Fluid. Mix the Quart of Mobile 1 Oil and the 1/2 Quart of Transmission Fluid together in the small can. It will make you a whole quart and a half of great lubricant. Pour it into a small spray dispenser to apply to a patch or part. We have been using it at the Academy for around 10 years in our AR-15/M-16 Rifle Program. And if you were buy that much lube it would cost you a bunch.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 11-25-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03

Just a hint! You should never use WD-40 on a firearm. If there is any residue left in the chamber area since it is a penetrating oil. It can get into the primer pocket well on the round and cause them to have inadequite or no ignition. The other issue is RemOil. Even though it is good lubricant for the right application you realy need something a little thicker with a little more lubricity. Example "Breakfree!" But be sure to shake it up before using. It will seperate if left on the shelf for a long period. G-96 is great stuff. But if you are on a budget and want to make some excellent lube. Go to Walmart or other store and buy you one of those real small 2 cylcle gas cans that will hold at least a Quart and a half. (Usually Red Plastic) Then buy 1 Quart of 5W50 Mobile One Synthetic Motor Oil and 1/2 Quart of Mobile One Synthetic Transmission Fluid. Mix the Quart of Mobile 1 Oil and the 1/2 Quart of Transmission Fluid together in the small can. It will make you a whole quart and a half of great lubricant. Pour it into a small spray dispenser to apply to a patch or part. We have been using it at the Academy for around 10 years in our AR-15/M-16 Rifle Program. And if you were buy that much lube it would cost you a bunch.

Thanks bud! I did not know that! I ussualy use the wd 40 on my bolt but i will quit using it now! So is it any synthetic oil or is it strictly 5 w50?

Old 11-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #6

Liked 64 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageshooter1997 View Post
Thanks bud! I did not know that! I ussualy use the wd 40 on my bolt but i will quit using it now! So is it any synthetic oil or is it strictly 5 w50?
I use WD-40, but not as a lubricant. Its great for cleaning out something in the barrel that other cleaners don't get. Its also great for rust prevention as it dries leaving a protective on the surface.

But Sniper03 is right about not leaving it in the gun barrel OR the trigger works - If you use WD-40 you should be careful to not get it in or make sure you get it out/off of some places.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySendero

I use WD-40, but not as a lubricant. Its great for cleaning out something in the barrel that other cleaners don't get. Its also great for rust prevention as it dries leaving a protective on the surface.

But Sniper03 is right about not leaving it in the gun barrel OR the trigger works - If you use WD-40 you should be careful to not get it in or make sure you get it out/off of some places.
Should i remove it from my bolt? How would i do that?

Old 11-26-2012, 02:49 AM   #8

Liked 64 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageshooter1997 View Post
Should i remove it from my bolt? How would i do that?

LOL yes! Get it off and out of the bolt.

If you can disassemble the bolt and clean it then that's best.
If not try blasting it out with Gun Scrubber or a similar product (Winchester markets a good one). Even carb cleaner will do.

THEN re-lubricate all these parts.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #9

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post

Just a hint! You should never use WD-40 on a firearm. If there is any residue left in the chamber area since it is a penetrating oil. It can get into the primer pocket well on the round and cause them to have inadequite or no ignition.
That is a myth. Here is an experiment on that issue.

The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers - Page 2

Quote:
Lessons learned:
1. Was this test "fair"? No, absolutely not.

It was about ten times more severe than any normal situation, where oil might come into casual contact with a cartridge. No one puddles oil on the primers of their ammunition for 6 weeks at a time. This test was a Worse Case Scenario.

Might different ammunition and different oils react differently than those in this test? Yes, that is possible.

2. Will casual oil likely invade and "kill" primers in cartridges? No. This rumor is greatly exaggerated.
[EDIT]
I've used automotive grease as a firearm lubricant and rust preventative for over 30 years.
[/EDIT]

Last edited by The_Kid; 11-26-2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: added input on main topic :/ then edited for clarity

Old 11-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I use Mobile one to lube guns with. Grease just traps dirt.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson