Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > Aaaaaaand there it goes...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #21
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6744 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garadex View Post
Well I though it couldn't happen to me, I was wrong. I was disassembling my handgun for cleaning and lost a part. It was a spring loaded extractor and now I have to order a new one. Anybody else have any experiences in flying gun parts being lost on the other side of the room?
Been there, done that. I turned into a month long ordeal. Very frustrating.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #22

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I was out hunting with a buddy of mine and he was using a 91/30 he always kept the bolt open till he reached where he was going stay. Mind you were walking about a mile and a half to this hunting spot and we finally get the blind and he's getting ready then he realizes he lost his bolt out of his gun somehow. Never did find it he ended getting another one but I still don't him live it down.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 06-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #23

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

I lost the keys to my little sisters cricket rifle recently. ALMOST drilled the lock out till the little 6 year old held them up and asked if "this was what I was looking for". There she held the keys that were apparently under a pizza box. The single life.... Lol

Old 06-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #24

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garadex

HOW?
The slide on my .22 handgun comes off for disassembly if rack it and pull up.

I racked it, slide flew away, had to find it.
I wonder if it can do as much damage as a bullet...

Old 06-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #25
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5635 Times on 2786 Posts
Likes Given: 5992

Acting as Platoon Sgt in an Anti Armor Platoon, about 20 years ago I was on a leaders recon in fort drum. We were leading and the crews were dragging the TOW systems for a hasty ground mount emplacement, all of us were packing heavy. We were in full Battle Rattle and I had everything dummy corded to me cause I knew we would be crawling. It was 04:30 in the morning, I hadnt slept for 3 days and we were being evaluated by 10th mt staff. All the sudden, I realized I couldnt find my brandy new AN PVS 7's (Night Observation Devices)., Ooops.

I knew they were 550 corded around my neck when we started the Recon but I couldnt find them in the front of my BDU Blouse where I tucked them when I wasnt using them. I frantically checked everywhere, they were gone and I was silently freaking out. I reported it immediately to our Raters; back then they were $12K+; losing them was not an option, it was a court martial able offense. The word went out fast and the exercise was paused, red lenses came off and everyone started to get on line to walk the Area of Operation. Extreme Embarrassment doesnt do justice to describing my feelings at that moment, terror is close!!!

I decided just for the hell of it to strip off my top gear, it was chilly and I had a field jacket, LBV and all kinds of crap hanging off it so just for the hell of it, I field stripped my upper torso! As the field jacket came off, I felt a bump on my backside, it was my NOD's, one of my section Sgts tugged them and the Idiot cord choked me in a warm fuzzy way!!! OMG, I was so Freaking happy I proclaimed loudly "I found them" in an area where we were supposed to be Noise, Light and Litter Disciplined. The operation continued, the OPFOR Whacked us hard and later I was properly excoriated for screwing up the operation but they couldnt get me for losing my gear, thanks to the Idiot Cord!

Years later, long after most had forgotten, I was still dummy cording everything and everyone in my platoon. You dint want me to find your m16 further than an arms reach away cause for the next 2 days, that thing would be your necklace 24/7!

Old 06-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1 View Post
The slide on my .22 handgun comes off for disassembly if rack it and pull up.

I racked it, slide flew away, had to find it.
I wonder if it can do as much damage as a bullet...
I was thinking.... really deep shag carpet???... lol! Or across the garage and in one of those cluttered corners of stuff that needs to be put up but life gets in the way!

I vow to use a bag as I have heard so many say. I even have this HUGE clear ziploc bag the wife got from some where. Can hold pillows. Hmmm perfect for a rifle.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38
Acting as Platoon Sgt in an Anti Armor Platoon, about 20 years ago I was on a leaders recon in fort drum. We were leading and the crews were dragging the TOW systems for a hasty ground mount emplacement, all of us were packing heavy. We were in full Battle Rattle and I had everything dummy corded to me cause I knew we would be crawling. It was 04:30 in the morning, I hadnt slept for 3 days and we were being evaluated by 10th mt staff. All the sudden, I realized I couldnt find my brandy new AN PVS 7's (Night Observation Devices)., Ooops.

I knew they were 550 corded around my neck when we started the Recon but I couldnt find them in the front of my BDU Blouse where I tucked them when I wasnt using them. I frantically checked everywhere, they were gone and I was silently freaking out. I reported it immediately to our Raters; back then they were $12K+; losing them was not an option, it was a court martial able offense. The word went out fast and the exercise was paused, red lenses came off and everyone started to get on line to walk the Area of Operation. Extreme Embarrassment doesnt do justice to describing my feelings at that moment, terror is close!!!

I decided just for the hell of it to strip off my top gear, it was chilly and I had a field jacket, LBV and all kinds of crap hanging off it so just for the hell of it, I field stripped my upper torso! As the field jacket came off, I felt a bump on my backside, it was my NOD's, one of my section Sgts tugged them and the Idiot cord choked me in a warm fuzzy way!!! OMG, I was so Freaking happy I proclaimed loudly "I found them" in an area where we were supposed to be Noise, Light and Litter Disciplined. The operation continued, the OPFOR Whacked us hard and later I was properly excoriated for screwing up the operation but they couldnt get me for losing my gear, thanks to the Idiot Cord!

Years later, long after most had forgotten, I was still dummy cording everything and everyone in my platoon. You dint want me to find your m16 further than an arms reach away cause for the next 2 days, that thing would be your necklace 24/7!
This is a funny story! Thanks for sharing.
Lol!
Old 06-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #28
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2757 Times on 1898 Posts
Likes Given: 558

Default just break down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garadex View Post
Well I though it couldn't happen to me, I was wrong. I was disassembling my handgun for cleaning and lost a part. It was a spring loaded extractor and now I have to order a new one. Anybody else have any experiences in flying gun parts being lost on the other side of the room?
Just take apart any Ruger MkII/III or 22/45 and you will be familiar with this....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Newest Threads