10/22 going click instead of bang...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Cleaning and Maintenance > 10/22 going click instead of bang...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Default 10/22 going click instead of bang...

Am kind of at a loss here and hoping someone can be of help. I have a Ruger 10/22 that is giving me fits. This particular gun had been shot with a variety of different ammo and I must admit that outside of running a bore snake through it, it had been neglected. Yes I know, very stupid.

The problem that I've been having,even after a more thorough cleaning, isthat at times it will eject/feed/fire properly but other times it will chamber a new bullet but will just click when I pull the trigger. I will enject that unfired round and then chamber a new one will fire just fine. Sometimes two in a row will go bang and then back to just a click. I have been running SK HV target rounds lately. They are very waxy and high dollar but I don't really care for them. Ran some Federal Automatch through and still had the same thing, which I ruled out it was just bad ammo. It was happening with all of the mags so I ruled out just being a bad mag.

I am fairly new to the sport so I am not sure what route to go. I'm sure there could, and hopefully is, an easy and cheap fix. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #2

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie_6Shooter
Am kind of at a loss here and hoping someone can be of help. I have a Ruger 10/22 that is giving me fits. This particular gun had been shot with a variety of different ammo and I must admit that outside of running a bore snake through it, it had been neglected. Yes I know, very stupid. The problem that I've been having,even after a more thorough cleaning, isthat at times it will eject/feed/fire properly but other times it will chamber a new bullet but will just click when I pull the trigger. I will enject that unfired round and then chamber a new one will fire just fine. Sometimes two in a row will go bang and then back to just a click. I have been running SK HV target rounds lately. They are very waxy and high dollar but I don't really care for them. Ran some Federal Automatch through and still had the same thing, which I ruled out it was just bad ammo. It was happening with all of the mags so I ruled out just being a bad mag. I am fairly new to the sport so I am not sure what route to go. I'm sure there could, and hopefully is, an easy and cheap fix. Thanks in advance for the advice!
How does the firing pin look?

Join The NRA And Protect Our Rights

Old 11-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #3

Do you have any of the rounds that mis fired? Is there a good primer strike? I would take it apart and clean the bolt face and firing pin channel

Old 11-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #4

I was thinking maybe something with the firing pin but I don't know what a good one should look like.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie_6Shooter
I was thinking maybe something with the firing pin but I don't know what a good one should look like.
Can you post a pic?

Old 11-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #6

I sure can. I don't have it right with me but I will post it today. Thanks a bunch!

Old 11-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #7

Glad to help. While you are at it see if you can freely move the firing pin back and forth in the bolt.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #8

Will do! You da man!

Old 11-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 1077 Posts
Likes Given: 544

Firing pins can be difficult to troubleshoot. Quite often just the tip breaks off the firing pin. Without a new firing pin to compare the old one too it's hard to see the firing pin is broken.

I would clean the firing pin channel. If the rifle doesn't fire all the time, its likely the firing pin is broken. If the gun has been fired a lot I would check the barrel where the firing pin strikes it. If there is a groove wore in the barrel take the gun to a gunsmith. A competent gunsmith can fix the rifle.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
Firing pins can be difficult to troubleshoot. Quite often just the tip breaks off the firing pin. Without a new firing pin to compare the old one too it's hard to see the firing pin is broken. I would clean the firing pin channel. If the rifle doesn't fire all the time, its likely the firing pin is broken. If the gun has been fired a lot I would check the barrel where the firing pin strikes it. If there is a groove wore in the barrel take the gun to a gunsmith. A competent gunsmith can fix the rifle.
This normally happens if the gun is dry fired a Lot.