Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Company Review Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f167/)
-   -   Wondering about Kel-Tec... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f167/wondering-about-kel-tec-93827/)

308Wins 07-13-2013 01:32 AM

Wondering about Kel-Tec...

Trying to find out about the quality mainly.
Do they produce reliable firearms?
Thanks ahead...

SSGN_Doc 07-13-2013 03:36 AM

They can be a bit spotty in quality control.

I had a Sub2000 in 9mm. It had quite a bit of mold flash, and sharp and unattended edges. It worked well, was reasonably accurate, innovative in design, just somewhat poorly executed. I have compared a Ruger LCP to a KelTec P3AT and found some of the same observations. Edges of the trigger and molding flash remaining where the seam in the molds came together. Not just a cosmetic issue, as shooting for a while would cause blisters where some of the non-dressed edges were located. Could not find where the mold seams were on the Ruger. The design of the two pistols is almost identical, but Ruger's execution and attention to detail made it much more user friendly. Both pistols had problems with really wide-mouthed hollow points.

sputnik1988 07-13-2013 04:33 AM

The only experience I've had with Keltec wasn't good.

My uncle has a P3at (why don't they just call it a p380:rolleyes:) that wouldnt fire reliably, it had pretty weak primer strikes.

kryptar19 07-13-2013 04:42 AM

Got a P11 and I trust it with my life. Very reliable, and never a problem. CS is good as well. Slide release wasn't working, called them and had a new one in the mail in a week. They gave me the option of sending it in as well, but I decided to do it myself.

Zombiegirl 07-13-2013 04:59 AM

I had a p3at and it had FTE issues and jammed constantly. I was lucky that the gun store took it and bought it when I was buying something else. I personally will not buy another one but hope that other people have better luck.

BK3220 07-13-2013 10:38 AM

My wife shoots a p3at and has had no problems with it. Lots of white box win (several hiundred rounds) and a few boxes of cor-bons.

danf_fl 07-13-2013 10:45 AM

From what I understand, firearms are a side business for them.

They produce firearms when their other business is slow.

fmj 07-13-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988 (Post 1302975)
The only experience I've had with Keltec wasn't good.

My uncle has a P3at (why don't they just call it a p380:rolleyes:) that wouldnt fire reliably, it had pretty weak primer strikes.

Weak primer strikes tend to be user malfunction...with my PF-9 (yes i know different model) you have to allow the trigger to to travel all the way or i it short resent causing light primer strikes.

They also tend to FTE because of limp wristing, you really need to lock down on these mouse guns to get them to cycle reliably.

As to the OP, i like mine well enough...inexpensive, no frills gun that works.

Txhillbilly 07-16-2013 01:45 PM

I've had a PLR-16 for many years,and it has always been a very reliable weapon,and know several others that have other models from Kel-tec that are also happy with them

S-101hat 07-24-2013 03:51 PM

I've had a P3AT and I have a PF9 both have functioned flawlessly. I wish I hadn't sold the .380 it was alot easier to conceal.