Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Company Review Forum > What do you think about DPMS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Default What do you think about DPMS?

I'm not interested in buying an AR platform rifle, but to put it lightly, people tell me they're no good.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-25-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1113 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 521

When it comes to the AR platform there are guy's that have different opinions. Some have the mindset that unless it is a Mil-spec weapon,it's junk
For the average person that owns/fires an AR,they wouldn't know the difference unless the parts were pointed out to them. I've built/shot many AR platform rifles in many different calibers,none were built with Mil-spec parts,and they all fired every time the trigger was pulled,and hit what I was aiming at.

While DPMS isn't setting on top of the mountain when it comes to Quality/Reliability/Etc.,they are far from the bottom.
I have one DPMS rifle,a LR-260 H -which is an AR10 style platform. I had a cycling issue out of the box,and it was just a buffer spring issue. I replaced the buffer spring with the correct one for the rifle,and the problem was solved.
I will say that DPMS customer service/tech dept wasn't much help when I called them. I knew the spring was wrong,but they accused me of changing it out with another spring. I called my local dealer,and he gave me the correct spring for the rifle,and the problem was solved. We still don't know where the other spring came from,it was in the gun when it was shipped from DPMS!
I have two Rock River Arms AR 15's,a 223 20" Varminter,and a 458 SOCOM,neither one is a Mil-spec weapon,but I'll put either one up against any Mil-spec weapon,anytime.

So,What do I think about DPMS? I like the one I have!

Old 05-25-2013, 02:35 AM   #3

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
When it comes to the AR platform there are guy's that have different opinions. Some have the mindset that unless it is a Mil-spec weapon,it's junk
For the average person that owns/fires an AR,they wouldn't know the difference unless the parts were pointed out to them. I've built/shot many AR platform rifles in many different calibers,none were built with Mil-spec parts,and they all fired every time the trigger was pulled,and hit what I was aiming at.

While DPMS isn't setting on top of the mountain when it comes to Quality/Reliability/Etc.,they are far from the bottom.
I have one DPMS rifle,a LR-260 H -which is an AR10 style platform. I had a cycling issue out of the box,and it was just a buffer spring issue. I replaced the buffer spring with the correct one for the rifle,and the problem was solved.
I will say that DPMS customer service/tech dept wasn't much help when I called them. I knew the spring was wrong,but they accused me of changing it out with another spring. I called my local dealer,and he gave me the correct spring for the rifle,and the problem was solved. We still don't know where the other spring came from,it was in the gun when it was shipped from DPMS!
I have two Rock River Arms AR 15's,a 223 20" Varminter,and a 458 SOCOM,neither one is a Mil-spec weapon,but I'll put either one up against any Mil-spec weapon,anytime.

So,What do I think about DPMS? I like the one I have!
A positive opinion!
I hear people telling me it either sucks, or it's just as good as any other. Nobody can told me why before now, thanks!

Old 05-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5272 Times on 2748 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308Wins View Post
A positive opinion!
I hear people telling me it either sucks, or it's just as good as any other. Nobody can told me why before now, thanks!
To me customer service is a huge issue. Dpms lacks good or even decent customer service. If the folks that work for dpms dont understand the ar15 or care about how their customers like the product after the sale it isnt possible for them to produce consistantly good rifles.

Milspec isnt the end all be all of ar15 ive got more non milspec ar than i do milspec ones. My favorite is my rra A2 service match rifle which has only two milspec parts, the grip and butttstock.

I had a dpms i bought for the wife and i had to go through it took the whole thing apart retorqued it all and assembled it correctly before it would run right. Ended up selling it during the crunch. Wont buy another.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

jackrich3 Likes This 
Old 05-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5143 Times on 2933 Posts
Likes Given: 4356

I have owned a DPMS in 7.62X51 NATO for many years. It's the LR308-AP4, with 16 inch barrel.

Light handy, ergonomic, amazingly accurate and utterly reliable.

The fit and finish certainly isn't in the same class with LM&T or Knight's Armament but it's a wonderful rifle. Especially considering it's the lowest priced 7.62X51 AR platform available.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I am not an AR person, but one of my shooting buddies has a AR from DPMS (sporticle I think). It has been very reliable and accurate enough for his needs, but he isn't a competitive shooter or major squirrel hunter. The only thing it has had problems with is Wolf ammo; it can eat Tulammo fine though.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Being married for 18 years, I can tell you PMS sucks. Not what is it about ARs?

Old 05-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

What do you think about DPMS?

Its about time you Dudes get it too!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I think we do go through hormonal changes every once in awhile. I read that somewhere.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #10

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308Wins
I'm not interested in buying an AR platform rifle, but to put it lightly, people tell me they're no good.
They are pretty good. Nothing to complain about. That's why I have two.