Ruger Accessory Order Problem
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Company Review Forum > Ruger Accessory Order Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default Ruger Accessory Order Problem

On 1/14/14 I ordered two magazines for my mini 14 from Ruger. The order was filled by Sportswear Sales, which appears to be a Ruger sub-division, on 1/17/14. On checking the account my debit card is tied to I discovered that Sportswear Sales debited my account for the amount of my order twice. The order, including shipping, was just over $92 US. Today is 1/20/14. That's three days I was denied access to that money.

From a practical standpoint if you are dealing with this company you need to watch your accounts and make sure you won't be close to bouncing checks if this happens to you. From a technical standpoint they are guilty of theft as shown in the statute quote below.

Quote:
812.014 Theft.—
(1) A person commits theft if he or she knowingly obtains or uses, or endeavors to obtain or to use, the property of another with intent to, either temporarily or permanently:
(a) Deprive the other person of a right to the property or a benefit from the property.

(b) Appropriate the property to his or her own use or to the use of any person not entitled to the use of the property.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Have you contacted them or your card company? If they aren't willing to fix the issue your card company should be able to deny them the fraudulent charges. Card based issues have been so rampant in this country lately that I've closed all but one of mine. Getting to the point that it is too risky to use anything but cash or check.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Have you contacted them or your card company? If they aren't willing to fix the issue your card company should be able to deny them the fraudulent charges. Card based issues have been so rampant in this country lately that I've closed all but one of mine. Getting to the point that it is too risky to use anything but cash or check.

I haven't been able to contact them yet due to their business hours and the weekend. I'm waiting to contact them today. They are in the mountain time zone and I am in the eastern time zone. Yes, I have contacted my card company. As of right now they say there isn't much they can do pending contact with Ruger.

My main reason for posting this is to warn other people. If they use a debit card tied to their checking account this could easily cause some bounced checks and service charges. I'm fortunate that I have ample funds to cover this and any outstanding checks. A young couple or a student may not have the cushion I have. Besides the overdraft and merchant charges that they may or may not ever recover, there is the matter of their credit rating to consider.

I ran into a similar problem with JC Penny a few years back. Their policy was to run through a $1 charge to make sure the card was active before they ran through the charge for the merchandise. Unfortunately for them the register ran the $1 through 18 times.

I called Penny's and asked them about it. They replied that it was their policy and there was nothing I could do about it. They also said that it would be returned in 7 business days. That ticked me off. It's not the $18, it's the attitude that they can use my money any way they want to without my consent.

I grabbed my receipt and a printout from the bank and went down to the local sheriff's office to file criminal charges. The detective I talked to called Penny's and explained the facts of life to them. The $18 was back in my account before I got home.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Awesome. Definitely nice of you to warn people. I've been screwed by the Bank in the past so I always have a cushion. Sounds like you'll have No problem handling the issue.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Awesome. Definitely nice of you to warn people. I've been screwed by the Bank in the past so I always have a cushion. Sounds like you'll have No problem handling the issue.

In all fairness to Ruger, let me say this. They make some fine firearms, and from what I have seen their warranty service is exceptional. Hopefully this is a one time thing that will be rectified as soon as they become aware of the problem. I'll post more after I contact them. In the meantime, I would not hesitate to buy their products. I might have to change how I buy them, but I'll still buy them... unless they get an attitude with me. <grin>

Old 01-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Update: I just got off the phone with Ruger. This is what I was told. It is their policy to put a hold on your money when the order is placed. When the order is shipped they put a second hold on your account. When the first hold falls off will depend on your financial institution. The second hold will be paid to Ruger. The first hold can take as much as 7 business days to go away. No, Ruger will not do anything to make the first hold go away sooner.

Essentially, if your order ships after the first hold falls off you only pay for your order once. If the order ships while the first hold still exists, you will at least temporarily pay for your order twice. Be careful folks. If you can't afford to temporarily pay double, don't order online from Ruger.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:21 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 142 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Lesson: DO NOT use a card tied to your bank account for any mail order, or internet purchases. Don't even use it for gas purchases. You don't have the protections with a debit, that you have with a credit card. It's good you went with Ruger factory mags for your mini. I've had a lot of bad luck with after market mags, with FTF's, refusing to feed 5.56 but are ok with 223, etc.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:24 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrich3 View Post
Lesson: DO NOT use a card tied to your bank account for any mail order, or internet purchases. Don't even use it for gas purchases. You don't have the protections with a debit, that you have with a credit card. It's good you went with Ruger factory mags for your mini. I've had a lot of bad luck with after market mags, with FTF's, refusing to feed 5.56 but are ok with 223, etc.
I know better than that, but it was Ruger, not FlyByNight-R-Us. Who would expect this? Well, me from now on. I'll just use the credit card and transfer the money later.

I always try to use factory mags. Some of them are a mite pricey, but except for Kimber I always found them dependable.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:01 AM   #9

Liked 2913 Times on 1734 Posts
Likes Given: 1953

that is a strange policy.

i think i'd order my ruger mini factory mags elsewhere from here on out. lots of places to get them other than directly from ruger. think i bought all of mine at the LGS.

well, you'll get your money back. did the bank screw you with BS fees?

Old 01-21-2014, 12:22 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
that is a strange policy.

i think i'd order my ruger mini factory mags elsewhere from here on out. lots of places to get them other than directly from ruger. think i bought all of mine at the LGS.

well, you'll get your money back. did the bank screw you with BS fees?
Nope. No extra fees. I have a pretty good cushion on that account. It's just the fact that they are keeping me from using what's mine that gets to me.

If the LGS had had the mags I would have bought them there. I need them to stay in business to save me a lot of gas.