Purchasing from manufacturer????
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Company Review Forum >

Purchasing from manufacturer????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hey guys few questions. First I'm looking into getting an ar platform but few questions arise. I'm not one to pay god awful amounts of money just cause supply and demand is high I see some of these ar's are going for we'll over 2g's. but I also see that the manufacturers haven't raised there price much. If I would buy from a manufacturer and this gun ban goes into effect what's the outcome since I will have a long wait due to all company being back ordered Would I still get my rifle? I'm thinking of going the route of having an ffl purchase direct but if I won't be able to receive my rifle would me best bet be to buy from say gun broker seeing I can have rifle in hand if a few days?

Last edited by shrapnel84; 02-19-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3569 Times on 1719 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

sharpnel,

The issue you are dealing with ordering from a dealer is the delivery time at the present. And certainly what he is going to charge you as far as mark up! Some companies at the present time have enough orders at their present build rate to last for three years at the present. The other issue is you could order the AR today through the dealer. But if any bans are imposed in your state or by the feds in the meantime, your rifle could not be delivered as ordered without being in full compliance with the new bans and restrictions placed on it after the order was placed. So if you want one right away you need to shop around. For example we have a dealer here close to us in Tennessee that is not charging anything over original retail. And one selling Rock River Arms Rifles is charging 10% + over retail and most of the time has inventory. With the way the market is today with some bringing up to $2500 the retail deal or plus 10% is a great deal! But use caution! Be sure you are getting what you are buying! Is it a manufacturer's built rifle or a parts rifle? For example! Gunbroker is one place to check as well as Guns America and other classifieds.

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 02-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #3

Liked 373 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Sadly the manufacturers have increased the prices 200-300%. An AR lower used to be $80. Now they are $300. Your chances of getting on direct are slim. I personally would go to as many gun shows as you can and be the first one in the door. Good luck.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
sharpnel,

The issue you are dealing with ordering from a dealer is the delivery time at the present. And certainly what he is going to charge you as far as mark up! Some companies at the present time have enough orders at their present build rate to last for three years at the present. The other issue is you could order the AR today through the dealer. But if any bans are imposed in your state or by the feds in the meantime, your rifle could not be delivered as ordered without being in full compliance with the new bans and restrictions placed on it after the order was placed. So if you want one right away you need to shop around. For example we have a dealer here close to us in Tennessee that is not charging anything over original retail. And one selling Rock River Arms Rifles is charging 10% + over retail and most of the time has inventory. With the way the market is today with some bringing up to $2500 the retail deal or plus 10% is a great deal! But use caution! Be sure you are getting what you are buying! Is it a manufacturer's built rifle or a parts rifle? For example! Gunbroker is one place to check as well as Guns America and other classifieds.

Thanks man. I live in pa so fortunately they aren't talking about any bans quite yet. I noticed dpms hasn't marked up there prices as well as rra. I have a ffl that won't charge me anything extra so was thinking of going that route just to be able to stay under 1,500$. But my major concern was if a ban goes into effect what the possible outcome may be on me getting a rifle that may take til the end of the year to receive anyway. The .300 blk from dpms seems great for 1200$ considering any other place marks them up to 2500$ I appreciate it semper fi