Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Company Review Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f167/)
-   -   Purchasing from manufacturer???? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f167/purchasing-manufacturer-84612/)

shrapnel84 02-19-2013 05:04 PM

Hey guys few questions. First I'm looking into getting an ar platform but few questions arise. I'm not one to pay god awful amounts of money just cause supply and demand is high I see some of these ar's are going for we'll over 2g's. but I also see that the manufacturers haven't raised there price much. If I would buy from a manufacturer and this gun ban goes into effect what's the outcome since I will have a long wait due to all company being back ordered Would I still get my rifle? I'm thinking of going the route of having an ffl purchase direct but if I won't be able to receive my rifle would me best bet be to buy from say gun broker seeing I can have rifle in hand if a few days?

Sniper03 02-19-2013 09:35 PM

sharpnel,

The issue you are dealing with ordering from a dealer is the delivery time at the present. And certainly what he is going to charge you as far as mark up! Some companies at the present time have enough orders at their present build rate to last for three years at the present. The other issue is you could order the AR today through the dealer. But if any bans are imposed in your state or by the feds in the meantime, your rifle could not be delivered as ordered without being in full compliance with the new bans and restrictions placed on it after the order was placed. So if you want one right away you need to shop around. For example we have a dealer here close to us in Tennessee that is not charging anything over original retail. And one selling Rock River Arms Rifles is charging 10% + over retail and most of the time has inventory. With the way the market is today with some bringing up to $2500 the retail deal or plus 10% is a great deal! But use caution! Be sure you are getting what you are buying! Is it a manufacturer's built rifle or a parts rifle? For example! Gunbroker is one place to check as well as Guns America and other classifieds.

molonlabexx 02-19-2013 09:40 PM

Sadly the manufacturers have increased the prices 200-300%. An AR lower used to be $80. Now they are $300. Your chances of getting on direct are slim. I personally would go to as many gun shows as you can and be the first one in the door. Good luck.

shrapnel84 02-19-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03
sharpnel,

The issue you are dealing with ordering from a dealer is the delivery time at the present. And certainly what he is going to charge you as far as mark up! Some companies at the present time have enough orders at their present build rate to last for three years at the present. The other issue is you could order the AR today through the dealer. But if any bans are imposed in your state or by the feds in the meantime, your rifle could not be delivered as ordered without being in full compliance with the new bans and restrictions placed on it after the order was placed. So if you want one right away you need to shop around. For example we have a dealer here close to us in Tennessee that is not charging anything over original retail. And one selling Rock River Arms Rifles is charging 10% + over retail and most of the time has inventory. With the way the market is today with some bringing up to $2500 the retail deal or plus 10% is a great deal! But use caution! Be sure you are getting what you are buying! Is it a manufacturer's built rifle or a parts rifle? For example! Gunbroker is one place to check as well as Guns America and other classifieds.

Thanks man. I live in pa so fortunately they aren't talking about any bans quite yet. I noticed dpms hasn't marked up there prices as well as rra. I have a ffl that won't charge me anything extra so was thinking of going that route just to be able to stay under 1,500$. But my major concern was if a ban goes into effect what the possible outcome may be on me getting a rifle that may take til the end of the year to receive anyway. The .300 blk from dpms seems great for 1200$ considering any other place marks them up to 2500$ I appreciate it semper fi