Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   M&P Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f166/)
-   -   Whats the big deal about the shield (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f166/whats-big-deal-about-shield-82367/)

psymmonds 01-25-2013 12:05 AM

Whats the big deal about the shield

I've noticed a lot of people on this forum that are looking to getting one. Or are on a waiting list. But I don't see anything special about the shield. So I was wondering why so many others want one and for what reasons?

lucznik 01-25-2013 05:08 AM

The Shield is an excellent CC gun. It is powerful, accurate, disappears super-easy, and feels better in the hand than any other auto pistol I have ever held. It is quite simply one of the finest carry guns around.

On the other side, being striker fired it has a terrible trigger. It's a lot better than the trigger on many other similar kinds of pistols (Glock, Springfield XD, Ruger SR**) and it's as good as most people will ever really need but, it's still not very good.

danolator 01-27-2013 04:47 PM

It is a great gun, but once I got to compare it side-by-side with my M&P compact, there wasn't enough difference in size to justify owning one.

pistolero_loco 02-02-2013 08:08 PM

Jmho

For me it was the following. I wanted more punch than a .380. I wanted to practice a lot, so needed affordable ammo, therefore 9mm. My personal preference is for striker fired over 1911 or SA/DA. Don't like cocked and locked. I want the same trigger pull on every shot. The small double stacks such as the G26 were just a little too fat and heavy to be comfortable. I preferred the crisp trigger pull of the Shield to the long DA pull of many of the others. I wanted to couple extra rounds an auto offers over a revolver. Also, I may be in the minority, but I like having the option to use a thumb safety, especially if I want to pocket carry. The Shield (with added night sights) in my experience for my needs is the perfect fit.

sparky80 02-02-2013 10:51 PM

Also shoots like a larger gun, and has less felt recoil IMHO than other guns of similar size. Great American quality at a great price.

partdeux 02-03-2013 12:05 AM

It's a great comfortable firearm to shoot.

psymmonds 02-03-2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partdeux
It's a great comfortable firearm to shoot.

But why not get the M&P 9c instead? Is the shield that much thinner to make a difference?

partdeux 02-03-2013 02:22 AM

I didn't shoot them side by side, but the shield just seems more comfortable in the hand then the M&P. My father in law bought one and absolutely loves it. If it wasn't so close to two of my other carry pieces, I'd buy one.

danolator 02-03-2013 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolero_loco
For me it was the following. I preferred the crisp trigger pull of the Shield to the long DA pull of many of the others.

Actually the single most criticism of the M&P line is the trigger. Many of us have opted for the Apex trigger kit to alleviate that gritty pull and inconsistent reset.

ScottA 02-03-2013 04:48 AM

I was really looking forward to one, until I got my hands on it. Lousy trigger. Bought a Kahr instead.