Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P Forum > To trade or not to trade?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I'm debating on trading my M&P .40 for a compact of the same caliber. I originally wanted a compact. But I opted to get the full size because when I had the option to buy one, all they had was the full size. I like the full size, but I find myself looking at the compact from time to time. Plus I tried to conceal carry it the other day and didn't like how it felt.

I'm just looking for people's opinions and/or pros and cons. And maybe some persuasion to do so. Also maybe if it would be worth it, or if I would have to fork out money from others personal experience in trading guns.

Thank you for your input.

Last edited by psymmonds; 12-20-2012 at 02:04 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-20-2012, 02:16 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If financialy able i think there is a practical use for both guns. the full size gun will be more accurate and easier to shoot, but a compact is needed for true conceal carry. Getting the same caliber is smart, easier to keep up with.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busdriver
If financialy able i think there is a practical use for both guns. the full size gun will be more accurate and easier to shoot, but a compact is needed for true conceal carry. Getting the same caliber is smart, easier to keep up with.
I thought about that also. But I have this thing where I don't want two guns of the same brand. I just want to get one of each brand. So to get one I have to get rid of the other

Old 12-20-2012, 02:41 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I understand fully,i think you would be better off with the one you have now, unless you are a daily concealed carrier.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:48 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2131 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

I guess I would begin by telling you! If you will not carry it frequently there is an issue. To explain. First of all I am not a 380 fan however I carry a Kahr P-380 in the heat of the summer or with light clothing when anything larger would be harder to hide. Other times I carry my Model 27 Glock or my Colt 1911 Commander. Bottom line the weapon will do you no good in the glove box of your vehicle. So carrying a smaller cal is better for those times if you would carry it everywhere each day.
I can understand about a full size pistol. The likelihood of a confrontation will come vary rarely while you are setting in your vehicle. It will come unexpectedly when shopping, pumping gas, or just general chores. Also comfort of the holster is also important. I carry a DeSantis Ankle holster in hot weather when it is difficult to hide a larger pistol and then carry the Kahr P-380. So a good compact might be what you need. But keep both if you can! One can never have enough weapons!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 12-20-2012 at 03:04 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-20-2012, 03:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
I guess I would begin by telling you! If you will not carry it frequently there is an issue. To explain. First of all I am not a 380 fan however I carry a Kahr P-380 in the heat of the summer or with light clothing when anything larger would be harder to hide. Other times I carry my Model 27 Glock or my Colt 1911 Commander. Bottom line the weapon will do you no good in the glove box of your vehicle. So carrying a smaller cal is better for those times if you would carry it everywhere each day.
I can understand about a full size pistol. The likelihood of a confrontation will come vary rarely while you are setting in your vehicle. It will come unexpectedly when shopping, pumping gas, or just general chores. Also comfort of the holster is also important. I carry a DeSantis Ankle holster in hot weather when it is difficult to hide a larger pistol and then carry the Kahr P-380. So a good compact might be what you need. But keep both if you can! One can never have enough weapons!

Yes more the better. But I won't be able to buy my next weapon till June 2013. Most likely it will be a shotgun, and who knows when I'll be able to buy my next one. And I want a compact, so that's where my dilemma lies.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:25 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psymmonds

I thought about that also. But I have this thing where I don't want two guns of the same brand. I just want to get one of each brand. So to get one I have to get rid of the other
I'm in the same boat. Decided to save up and get a XDm compact to go with my M&P VTAC. I like to diversify my gun collection.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Why choose on or the other get both if its in your budget.