Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   M&P Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f166/)
-   -   Sold my Shield! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f166/sold-my-shield-84821/)

lucznik 02-22-2013 02:06 AM

Well, I sold my Shield.
I've carried it pretty regularly for the past few months and have come to the conclusion that it is just not quite right for me.

My issues with it are:
1. It's just not quite small enough. It carries pretty easy but, for a small guy like me, it isn't small enough to guarantee no chance of an accidental exposure. It can sometimes be carried in some (jeans) pockets, but not without difficulty and not without the pocket bulging out rather obviously.
2. The spacer that accommodates the flush fit of the extended 8 rd magazine always (and annoyingly) rides up the magazine body. This could prove a problem, if ever a rapid reload was needed.
3. The trigger, as good as it may be for a striker-fired gun, when evaluated objectively, is really just terrible. Anyone who describes a striker-fired pistol's trigger as "crisp" is either deluding themselves or has never felt a truly good trigger. Mush, mush, mush!

I posted the gun on Armslist.com and, in just two days, I had over 30 prospective buyers contacting me. Final price: $510 shipped.

I've been told this gun is listed in some places for as high as $600. It's a good gun but, it's definitely not worth that much.

Sentry18 02-22-2013 11:40 PM

I love my Shield and the upgraded trigger is spectacular. No mush to be found. Anyone who thinks a striker-fired pistol's trigger cannot be crisp has never shot a Shield or an M&P with an Apex trigger. But if it's not for you it's not for you. Sounds like you need a Ruger LCP or some other micro-380.

As far as price goes, value is strictly in the eye of the beholder. I personally think the Shield is a better gun than say the Walther PPS or Kahr P9, both of which sell for $500+.

lucznik 02-23-2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentry18
I love my Shield and the upgraded trigger is spectacular. No mush to be found. Anyone who thinks a striker-fired pistol's trigger cannot be crisp has never shot a Shield or an M&P with an Apex trigger.

This may be true. I've never bothered with trying to swap out triggers. I guess I'm just spoiled by my S&W revolvers, which have never required such efforts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentry18
As far as price goes, value is strictly in the eye of the beholder. I personally think the Shield is a better gun than say the Walther PPS or Kahr P9, both of which sell for $500+.

No argument here. I certainly made a decent profit on my transaction (which = me happy) and, hopefully, the guy who purchased my gun will be satisfied too (which = him happy).

danolator 02-23-2013 04:29 PM

Three reasons I don't own a Shield:

A. It's a right- handed gun.
B. the size is not appreciably different than my M&P 40c.
C. M&P triggers suck.

Sentry18 02-24-2013 07:12 AM

You were correct on A. I think. Don't know for sure because I am a righty.

But you completely lost me on B. The Shield versus M&P Compact size differential is considerable. Unless you are the kind of person that thinks a 1x4 and a 2x4 are about the same size pieces of wood.

C. is extremely subjective. My stock Shield trigger was quite good. Definitely better than the average striker fired gun. Once I put in a DCAEK it become purely awesome.

sdiver35 02-24-2013 11:44 AM

I fully understand your logic, simply put...if you don't like it, you don't like it. My wife has a Shield 9 and loves it, I like shooting it too. This will make some on here shudder...I personally didn't like a Colt 1911 that I bought, so it had to go. :)

Donn 02-24-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentry18 (Post 1151571)
You were correct on A. I think. Don't know for sure because I am a righty.

But you completely lost me on B. The Shield versus M&P Compact size differential is considerable. Unless you are the kind of person that thinks a 1x4 and a 2x4 are about the same size pieces of wood.

C. is extremely subjective. My stock Shield trigger was quite good. Definitely better than the average striker fired gun. Once I put in a DCAEK it become purely awesome.

Agree x3 with Sentry. I'm a righty too. I've got a Shield and a 9c, size difference is considerable IMHO, especially when carried all day. The factory trigger on my Shield's much crisper than the 9c or my FS. I may do something about the triggers on those two, but I'm leaving the Shield alone.

purehavoc 02-24-2013 11:53 AM

I have never shot the shield so I don't know how the trigger feels. If your looking for something smaller like a micro compact with a decent trigger take a look at the striker fired diamondback DB9 .

danolator 02-24-2013 05:36 PM

Shield 9mm. Width .94". Height 4.6". Length 6.1". Weight 19.0 oz

M&P 9 C. Width 1.18". Height 4.3". Length 6.7". Weight 21.7 oz

Don't know where you do your carpentry, but the Shield is a shaved 2x4 in my lumber yard.

Sentry18 02-24-2013 07:51 PM

(Thanks Dachandex for the photo)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...dex/oh-9-4.jpg

Shield on the left. M&P Compact in the middle. Enough said.