Slide release issue...

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P Forum > Slide release issue...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default Slide release issue...

I just got my m&p40 a few days ago, and my slide release is very stiff. I have to use both my hands to push it down. Is this normal, and is there a fix to make it smoother. Hopefully all it needs is oil... Mind you i am not weak. I have played with an m&p40 before and this was not a problem. Assistance much appreciated

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

We were taught to simply pull the slide rearward and let it snap forward on its own power.

That method works better for me personally.

But I think your slide release may just be stiff. If it doesn't loosen up in time, perhaps see your 'smith?

Old 08-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCat
We were taught to simply pull the slide rearward and let it snap forward on its own power.

That method works better for me personally.

But I think your slide release may just be stiff. If it doesn't loosen up in time, perhaps see your 'smith?
It moves just fine by itself. It's just when the slide is back. I think it may be because of the spring tension forced on the one point makes it stiff possibly binding. But it's not that big of a deal because I can just pull the slide back. I really was just wondering if it's normal or how to make it move more freely

Old 08-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2562 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

StoneCat is correct! You should teach yourself to do what is called and hand over loading and function technique with the weak hand. For example if you are right handed you simply with the slide locked back and a full magazine in the pistol. Cup your hand over the top of the slide palm down with your fingers on the right side of the slide and your thumb against the left side of the slide in front of the rear sight. *And with your thumb facing to the rear then simply squeeze your hand pull the slide back slightly and let it (Fly Forward) loading the top round from your magazine. You need to learn this technique since in a crucial loading situation when fine motor skills go to H---! You could have problems finding the slide release anyway. StoneCat is dead on with his advise! So even though the Slide Release will work smother in time we do not suggest using it for loading!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 08-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

all the new sr9's ive held have been this way very hard to press...but to me its nothing because ive trained myself to pull the slide rearward by using the over hand way. its universal. no matter what pistol you have you rack the slide back and it will load, or clear a jam the same everytime. there is a lot to be said about muscle memory. so back to the point. yes the slide stop is probly just tight because its new.. my opionion as if you should use it to release the slide. i think you should try to train the other way... but thats just me

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #6

Hmm never thought of it that way. That's a good point and I'll start training myself that way. Thanks for the info

Old 08-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

no problem. once i heard it, it made since to me so i did it.. before i always used the slide stop. now its great cause any pistol i grab i can do it to.. hehe.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:29 AM   #8

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1099

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
all the new sr9's ive held have been this way very hard to press...but to me its nothing because ive trained myself to pull the slide rearward by using the over hand way. its universal. no matter what pistol you have you rack the slide back and it will load, or clear a jam the same everytime. there is a lot to be said about muscle memory. so back to the point. yes the slide stop is probly just tight because its new.. my opionion as if you should use it to release the slide. i think you should try to train the other way... but thats just me
I agree releasing the slide with slide stop is for the movies. You should always rack the slide with your weak hand.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:17 AM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I call it a slide catch, this way I use it to lock it not to release it.

Even when I'm doing a dry run with the pistol I use it while still pulling the slide back... 2nd nature.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 08-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psymmonds
I just got my m&p40 a few days ago, and my slide release is very stiff. I have to use both my hands to push it down. Is this normal, and is there a fix to make it smoother. Hopefully all it needs is oil... Mind you i am not weak. I have played with an m&p40 before and this was not a problem. Assistance much appreciated
The catch on my new 9 shield is very stiff. I didn't notice it cause I had pulled the slide back as mentioned by others.
I only have shot 103 rounds with it.
A friend that knew I had just bought the gun wanted to check it out. I cleared the weapon and handed it to him with slide open. He tried his hardest to use the slide release button an it took him a few tries. I told him I always rack by slightly pulling back on slide and letting it go. I had no idea this was the "correct" method. He acted like I should do it his way. I blew it off and now I have confirmation of my common sense.

I have noticed even over the last 10 minutes before this post that it loosened up quite a bit by actually using it. I would prefer it to be a more positive catch than easily releasable so I stopped messing around and holstered my weapon.