Shield or Full Size? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P Forum > Shield or Full Size?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My biggest question is this: Why would you want to buy a small handgun like the Shield for your first gun when you live in a state where you can't even carry it? Seems to me like you would want the advantages in capacity, felt recoil, and accuracy of the full size.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 08-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC-03
My biggest question is this: Why would you want to buy a small handgun like the Shield for your first gun when you live in a state where you can't even carry it? Seems to me like you would want the advantages in capacity, felt recoil, and accuracy of the full size.
The accuracy is outstanding in the 9 mm shield

Old 08-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank7777

The accuracy is outstanding in the 9 mm shield
That may be...but overall the longer barrel is still going to be more accurate.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 08-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_ View Post
I live in Illinois, so concealing isn't an option. What exactly is it that defines the shield as a "singular purpose" gun?
Hey! Im in Illinois too! No Class 3 or Conceal fun here

I have a full size M&P in .40, and also have a .357SIG barrel for it. I love using it on the range. I also prefer to shoot full size frames on the range.

I would not try to conceal carry a full size M&P. I'd definitely get a M&P9c or Shield model if I lived in Indiana or another compliant state.

Really, its all your personal preference. Take the time to find one of each to hold! Also, many range's rent M&P pistols. Go find one to shoot!

Old 10-23-2012, 03:44 AM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndork2

Hey! Im in Illinois too! No Class 3 or Conceal fun here

I have a full size M&P in .40, and also have a .357SIG barrel for it. I love using it on the range. I also prefer to shoot full size frames on the range.

I would not try to conceal carry a full size M&P. I'd definitely get a M&P9c or Shield model if I lived in Indiana or another compliant state.

Really, its all your personal preference. Take the time to find one of each to hold! Also, many range's rent M&P pistols. Go find one to shoot!
You nailed it, Corndork! I have been searching for a Shield to hold in my hand for three months and finally found a Demo .40 at a gun show. I compared both the 9C and Shield. The Shield is narrow but I find my hand doesn't fit the 9C as well. I don't get much finger on the trigger. What I really like (but most experienced CC shooters don't) is the safety on the shield. It is hard to set "on" but would be easy to release with the thumb while coming out of the holster. I am with Hickok45 that the gun is almost always more accurate than the shooter. I didn't buy the used Shield, it didn't look too clean and only had one clip, plus the dealer wanted new gun money. Next time...

Old 10-23-2012, 03:48 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 216 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BClayton357

You nailed it, Corndork! I have been searching for a Shield to hold in my hand for three months and finally found a Demo .40 at a gun show. I compared both the 9C and Shield. The Shield is narrow but I find my hand doesn't fit the 9C as well. I don't get much finger on the trigger. What I really like (but most experienced CC shooters don't) is the safety on the shield. It is hard to set "on" but would be easy to release with the thumb while coming out of the holster. I am with Hickok45 that the gun is almost always more accurate than the shooter. I didn't buy the used Shield, it didn't look too clean and only had one clip, plus the dealer wanted new gun money. Next time...
Good that u didn't buy that demo. Here is brand new.. no tax & free shipping $449

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/115738/c/firearms

Last edited by okdonk; 10-23-2012 at 04:00 AM.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1227 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I have a Shield and a Ruger SR9c. Both are small, but the Shield is smaller. Both are good shooters. I can and do carry both, but the Shield is easier to conceal. Both are accurate, and both are okay with felt recoil.

All of that typed, if I were you, and buying a gun for just home defense, and range time, I would buy a full size M&P. Over 20 years the small greater investment will be nothing. You will have higher capacity, and a hand gun that will be easier to shoot and should be accurate.

When Illinois comes to it's senses about carry, get the Shield!

Old 10-25-2012, 12:18 AM   #28
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1977 Times on 1071 Posts
Likes Given: 587

There is only a $50 difference in the price of a Shield and an M&P. The Ruger SR9c sells for about $400.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."