Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P Forum > Shield or Full Size?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 220 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_ View Post
I live in Illinois, so concealing isn't an option. What exactly is it that defines the shield as a "singular purpose" gun?
Unless you have freakishly small hands, there are just too many reasons to opt for a larger framed M&P (or Glock, XD, whatever).

I own a Shield and I carry it often. The fact is, it does handle more like a medium framed firearm than most similarly sized 9mms. That's what I love about it. But why not go with the gun that's more accurate (or rather, far easier to be more accurate with), has a higher capacity, and less felt recoil (translation: quicker follow-up shots)?

If concealed carry does not enter into the equation, a fuller framed M&P is the better option for you. Yes, even for $50-100 more. Even for $200 more in my opinion, though that wouldn't be indicative of the prices around here.

You call this "your first" handgun. The M&P is a solid choice. And the largest framed version that you're comfortable handling/shooting will ultimately reward you with the most immediate positive results at the range. That's worth an extra $100 in my opinion. And saving up for an extra M&P in 22lr will probably serve both your wallet and your skill very well. I've shot the MP22lr pistol. It's a very good gun that you could feed for hours on one $20 bill.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:42 AM   #12

Likes Given: 1

Default depends on usage

The Shield is a great carry gun, thin and light, good caliber for self defense, good trigger, accurate, reliable. The M&P 9C is thicker and heavier and is very similar to the Glock 26. Both S&W's are excellent (as is the Glock). If you are going to own one, then the 9C is probably more flexible in its usages. I prefer the mag with the pinkie extension. Dale Fricke makes great IWB kydex holsters for concealed carry. In particular, the Joshua Covert.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

IMHO you should check out the 9c.

I was thinking about getting a shield.

In doing my research I found the 9c - they are very close in size but the 9c has several benefits over the Shield.

Capacity is one 9c hold 12+1 .

I'd also suggest you look at the M&P 5" Pro model

Both of these guns are very accurate & dependable

Old 07-01-2012, 05:38 AM   #14

I recently purchased a Shield for concealed carry and fired it for the first time during the concealed carry qualifications. It is much more accurate that I thought it would be. It has much less recoil than I thought it would have. The trigger and the sights are good. I also thought I would have a problem getting a grip with the smaller magazine, but I never even noticed it. If you are only going to shoot on the range then it would make sense to get a larger pistol, but if you want one that you will carry with you, this is the one to get. I am surprised and delighted at how well it shoots - or maybe how well I can shoot with it.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #15

Likes Given: 2

For beginners, I was told always start with a full size hd gun. So no compact guns, or single stacks. Yes they are easy for concealment, because of size & weight, because thats what it is made for. But you can carry a full-size just as well dude. I have a full size, and I love it no other way, my opinion.

Thanks Gremlock686

Old 07-06-2012, 05:30 AM   #16

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlock686
For beginners, I was told always start with a full size hd gun. So no compact guns, or single stacks.
Wait; why no single stacks?

Most standard 1911s are single stacks. S&W made single stack 3rd Gen guns like the 457, 4506, 908, and 3913 . Glock makes a single stack .45 (g30 I think). Ruger has a couple of single stack .45s (P90 and P945). Any of these would be good, full size guns that could be great for a "beginner."

Last edited by lucznik; 07-06-2012 at 05:33 AM.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:04 AM   #17

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucznik

Wait; why no single stacks?

Most standard 1911s are single stacks. S&W made single stack 3rd Gen guns like the 457, 4506, 908, and 3913 . Glock makes a single stack .45 (g30 I think). Ruger has a couple of single stack .45s (P90 and P945). Any of these would be good, full size guns that could be great for a "beginner."
In that case, you are right Lucznik, I was just saying what I was told on a full size vs a compact for a first hd gun. CCW Class.

Thanks Gremlock686

Old 07-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #18

Likes Given: 1

Default I agree with this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Davis View Post
IMHO you should check out the 9c.

I was thinking about getting a shield.

In doing my research I found the 9c - they are very close in size but the 9c has several benefits over the Shield.

Capacity is one 9c hold 12+1 .

I'd also suggest you look at the M&P 5" Pro model

Both of these guns are very accurate & dependable

I own both the Shield and 9C. Shield works well for CCW. The 9C however feels better in my hand and I prefer it if I have the option to carry something a little larger. I prefer the feel and natural pointing of the M&P's over Glocks that I have owned. (nothing wrong with Glocks however)

Old 07-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well, the 9mm Shield is my favorite small gun...

Admittedly, not every gun is everything to everybody...

However, I have previously owned a Kahr Pm9 and several 9mm doublestacked subcompacts over the years.

At the time, I carried them a lot, but never really practiced with them too much. To me, they were never as fun to shoot as a fullsize gun. And, no matter how much I practiced, I always felt at a disadvantage compared to my larger guns.

The Shield is the first subcompact I do not feel at a disadvantage with. What's funny is that it is even smaller than some of the 9mm doublestacks I previously owned.

For me, I was happy enough with it to even sell a PX4 and buy a 2nd one with.

My normal daily carry has been a Beretta 92 for 2.5 years. I had some health problems with a groin injury, and I haven't been able to wear a belt tight enough to hold up a 2.5lb+ Beretta 92. So, hence the search initially for a new pocket pistol that I actually liked.

However, even after I recover... While the Beretta is and will be my favorite... I'm so used to being much more comfortable with the Shield in my pocket - I may just stick with it for good....

Just my 2 cents. I'm accurate enough with this gun out to 15 yards that I'm confident with the gun.

Last edited by shipwreck; 07-30-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #20

The shield is the most accurate 9mm I have fired