Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P Forum > Shield or Full Size?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Shield or Full Size?

Need some opinions from those who have owned or tried both.

I have shot the M&P9 multiple times and have fallen in love with the pistol. The ergonomics make it feel like it was made for my hands! That being said, finances are a bit right around here right now but I REALLY want to nab my first handgun soon.

That brings me to the shield.

It's a single-stack M&P, correct? How does the grip feel compared to a full size? Does the felt recoil increase/decrease?

The shield is a bit cheaper than the full sized pistols so I'm tempted to go that route to save some change as long as the pistol retains its incredible ergonomics.

Thoughts?

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts

I haven't shot the shield yet but I did hold it. It is really thin. Made fore conceal carry. Check out hicock45 on YouTube. He seamed to really like it.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 180 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Same here, never shot it but held it. Much smaller and thinner than my Glock26. Heard and read everyone good comments about the trigger pull. It will be a very good size for conceal purposes, to me IMO.
The thing is, they are hard to get, almost none everywhere.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts

I have found them in all the stores up here in Va but they go fast. That has to say something right. If you can't keep them in stock they gotta be ok.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #5

Liked 182 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Only buy the Shield if you're primarily in the market for a concealed carry gun.

For HD or range shooting the standard M&P or M&P compact will better serve almost all shooters. The Shield is a fantastic little gun...but it serves a singular and defined purpose.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:29 AM   #6

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

The Shield is one of the most comfortable 9mms I've ever shot. I was thinking I would get one for a carry gun and then get something bigger for home and range work, etc.

After buying and shooting the Shield, I've changed my mind. This gun will easily serve all my "service auto" needs.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:41 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22
Only buy the Shield if you're primarily in the market for a concealed carry gun.

For HD or range shooting the standard M&P or M&P compact will better serve almost all shooters. The Shield is a fantastic little gun...but it serves a singular and defined purpose.
I live in Illinois, so concealing isn't an option. What exactly is it that defines the shield as a "singular purpose" gun?

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 06-23-2012, 03:59 AM   #8

Liked 2325 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 51

May be the fact of it size, was designed with the concealed carrier in mind, not being a devoted range gun.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater
May be the fact of it size, was designed with the concealed carrier in mind, not being a devoted range gun.
I understand that it is a smaller handgun, thinner in the grip, and as a single-stack handgun it has a smaller magazine size. This will be my first handgun, so I HOPE it stays as a range gun, but it very well may serve as a home defense handgun to get me to my rifle or shotgun should the **** ever hit the fan (like I said, I hope it never comes to that).

I just fail to see the logic behind deeming this to be "solely" a conceal and carry firearm. Yes, it's very well suited for that, but its still a magazine fed handgun. It may not be a full size pistol but it will go bang when you apply pressure with your booger picker to the boom boom switch, making it a via me home defense/open carry weapon. In fact, instead of saying that it is "solely" a conceal and carry piece, I would venture to say it just isn't a competition handgun. Everything else it should still do, right?

I'm just trying to not get caught up in the "smaller/slim pistols are only for cc" type mindset. I'm merely asking for thoughts on the gun as it pertains to performance and ergonomics.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 06-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #10

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I don't own and I've never shot a full size M&P but I do have a Shield and I've shot many full size 9mm guns to compare. I agree that the Shield is a single purpose gun. It's for concealed carry. Sure, you can take it to the range, and you should. You should be familiar and always practice with the gun you carry. However, a full size gun is going to be more comfortable, more fun, and more accurate because you have more control of the gun. A compact 9mm like the Shield is going to have more recoil than the full size models. If I were getting a range/HD gun I would never consider a compact firearm. The compromise doesn't make sense. That's what compact firearms are, a compromise.