Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P Forum > Qualified and ready for duty: S&W M&P Shield

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default Qualified and ready for duty: S&W M&P Shield

I just completed my first full duty qualification with my S&W Shield 9mm. I got it the day it was released but wanted to make sure it was 100% before carrying it. That meant 500+ rounds of both practice and duty ammo, as well as numerous function and malfunction drills. I also wanted to swap the sights from stock to Warren Tactical 2-dot night sights, find a holster and have at least three spare 8 round mags. I purchased the Shield to occupy the roles of back up gun, plain clothes carry and off duty carry. Which makes it a perfect partner for my primary duty gun; a full size S&W M&P 9mm. That one has already proven itself time and time again. Well now so has the Shield. With approx. 1000 rounds through it I have had no malfunctions & no parts breakages. What it has provided me with is superb accuracy and excellent shootability. Today the proof was in the pudding and I qualified with ease. In fact I scored 1 point higher with the Shield than I did with the M&P FS! I am also pretty sure I just sold several M&P Shields for Smith & Wesson to my fellow LEO's at the range shooting their M&P's. They just have to find one for sale first.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Very cool. I have two of them and 1900 rounds fired total (between the two). Great guns!

It is my fav subcompact I have ever owned, and i have owned several and shot many others over the years...

Old 08-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thats great they allow you to carry one on duty! May I ask if this is a back up gun, or an off duty carry? Or carry for plain clothes work days?

Old 08-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #4

Both the M&P and the Shield are agency issue guns for Detectives and non-uniformed Supervisors. So my Shield is primarily for desk duty and plain clothes, but I will also carry it off duty and as a back up my M&P when in uniform. The LEO's at my department were very pleased when we selected the M&P as our duty gun, but they went crazy over the Shield. It was quickly added to the department's approved gun list for individual officer purchase and now everyone either owns one or is on a waiting list to get one.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:25 AM   #5

They need to make one without a manual safety. Then I will buy one.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:42 AM   #6

Don't let that stop you. There is no way you are going to accidentally engage that safety.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

I for one am excited. My contract jobs are the perfect situation for a shield. I have only seen and read good things and tested once. At 20 yards i am grouping an average of 2.50 inches. This is nice for such a compact platform. This firearm has functioned properly and has had no failures of any kind. Reliability is key for a duty or cc pistol

Old 09-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

This fire arm data seems to be legit