No safety?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P Forum > No safety?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default No safety?

I bought me my first m&p .45. N its the first gun ive ever handled wit no safety. Im a beginning gun enthusiast n maybe its there n I dont recognize it. I think some m&ps have a removeable safety but im not seein where it "could" go on mine. Am I missing something

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2012, 05:29 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

No your not missing anything. The standard m&p doesn't have a safety. I just got an m&p 40. But I've done a lot of research, you would have had to gotten one with it. It would have cost you at least another $20 to get that version. I'm not sure if you could install one though. My other guns have one as well, so it may take a bit to get used to

Old 08-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFinnley
I bought me my first m&p .45. N its the first gun ive ever handled wit no safety. Im a beginning gun enthusiast n maybe its there n I dont recognize it. I think some m&ps have a removeable safety but im not seein where it "could" go on mine. Am I missing something
A thumb safety is an option. just remember with all firearms youre the best safety the firearm has. in other words keep your nose picker off the trigger until your ready to go bang also you can't add one without changing the slide. you don't have the milled recess for it

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 08-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Most ppl that own it prefer it without the safety. In double action it takes a good pull to get it to fire so there is your safe zone for you.

Going to a firearm without a manual safety takes a bit of getting used to, I have a Sig P229, no safety but it has a decocker (which I like) coming from a Beretta 84 (manual safety/decocker) it took a bit of time to get comfortable with the idea...

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 08-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFinnley View Post
Do you have a firing pin lock? Mine does not have a manual safety. However, it does have a firing pin lock. Mine uses a little key that allows me to engage or disengage the safety.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:20 AM   #6

I dont think it has a firing pin lock but i wouldnt know lol. It has a double action trigger. I got it for a conceal carry but wit no safety i dont wanna take the chance

Old 08-28-2012, 02:26 AM   #7

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Personally on semi-auto striker fired I do not like not having a manual safety, it's just personal preference.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:38 AM   #8

Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts

Just got an M&P 40 to. No safety on it. Its kind of like a glock from what I'm told. Some models have a thumb safety. I'm very new to guns to and kinda wish I had one. Next is a 1911. Oh I carry mine every day.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:17 AM   #9

How easy would it be to install a firing pin lock? With kids around its not enough to keep the ammo seperate

Old 08-28-2012, 03:28 AM   #10

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFinnley
How easy would it be to install a firing pin lock? With kids around its not enough to keep the ammo seperate
I think you may have bought the wrong handgun for you. It looks like you have two real choices train with this M&P until you're comfortable with no safety or trade it in on a handgun with a manual safety.

Also all modern handguns have a firing pin block that will keep the gun from firing if dropped.