Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   M&P Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f166/)
-   -   No safety? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f166/no-safety-71206/)

CFinnley 08-27-2012 05:12 AM

No safety?

I bought me my first m&p .45. N its the first gun ive ever handled wit no safety. Im a beginning gun enthusiast n maybe its there n I dont recognize it. I think some m&ps have a removeable safety but im not seein where it "could" go on mine. Am I missing something

psymmonds 08-27-2012 05:29 AM

No your not missing anything. The standard m&p doesn't have a safety. I just got an m&p 40. But I've done a lot of research, you would have had to gotten one with it. It would have cost you at least another $20 to get that version. I'm not sure if you could install one though. My other guns have one as well, so it may take a bit to get used to

Wiseman3 08-27-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFinnley
I bought me my first m&p .45. N its the first gun ive ever handled wit no safety. Im a beginning gun enthusiast n maybe its there n I dont recognize it. I think some m&ps have a removeable safety but im not seein where it "could" go on mine. Am I missing something

A thumb safety is an option. just remember with all firearms youre the best safety the firearm has. in other words keep your nose picker off the trigger until your ready to go bang ;) also you can't add one without changing the slide. you don't have the milled recess for it

drvsafe 08-27-2012 02:26 PM

Most ppl that own it prefer it without the safety. In double action it takes a good pull to get it to fire so there is your safe zone for you.

Going to a firearm without a manual safety takes a bit of getting used to, I have a Sig P229, no safety but it has a decocker (which I like) coming from a Beretta 84 (manual safety/decocker) it took a bit of time to get comfortable with the idea...

Corndork2 08-27-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFinnley (Post 917375)

Do you have a firing pin lock? Mine does not have a manual safety. However, it does have a firing pin lock. Mine uses a little key that allows me to engage or disengage the safety.

CFinnley 08-28-2012 02:20 AM

I dont think it has a firing pin lock but i wouldnt know lol. It has a double action trigger. I got it for a conceal carry but wit no safety i dont wanna take the chance

Wiebelhaus 08-28-2012 02:26 AM

Personally on semi-auto striker fired I do not like not having a manual safety, it's just personal preference.

cvia 08-28-2012 02:38 AM

Just got an M&P 40 to. No safety on it. Its kind of like a glock from what I'm told. Some models have a thumb safety. I'm very new to guns to and kinda wish I had one. Next is a 1911. Oh I carry mine every day.

CFinnley 08-28-2012 03:17 AM

How easy would it be to install a firing pin lock? With kids around its not enough to keep the ammo seperate

marc29th 08-28-2012 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFinnley
How easy would it be to install a firing pin lock? With kids around its not enough to keep the ammo seperate

I think you may have bought the wrong handgun for you. It looks like you have two real choices train with this M&P until you're comfortable with no safety or trade it in on a handgun with a manual safety.

Also all modern handguns have a firing pin block that will keep the gun from firing if dropped.