New M&P 9c
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P Forum > New M&P 9c

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default New M&P 9c

I've been looking online the last few weeks, researching the best (for me) carry gun. I decided on the M&P 9c. I've had my TX CHL since May but haven't been carrying because I don't have a suitable weapon. And because I was out-of-state in Michigan for the summer I couldn't buy anything as a TX resident.

I thought my 4" Dan Wesson .357 would work when I bought it, but it's just too big. The Hi-Point 9mm, the first gun I bought knowing that it wasn't meant for carry, is kind of clunky and ugly. I shoot it at the range and you can't tell the holes in the target from those of a much more expensive gun, but then I look at my hand and think "brick with handle".

So, having decided on the model, I needed to find a good deal. The best online retailer was Bud's. They had several with and without safeties for about $450.

(I found it interesting that it comes in about a dozen flavors--10 and 12 rnd mags, thumb safety or not, magazine safety or not, olive, black or desert, etc. Plus, various combinations of the features.)

Anyway, GB had a bunch, 50-something, and almost all were over $500 starting price...except one. The auction had just 8 hrs. to go and there were no bids yet with the buy it now price of $400. The seller had an A+ rating with 3000+ reviews. Check. The 9c was the exact flavor I was looking for. Check. Takes credit cards with no sur-charge. Check. I'm in.

Now I'm just waiting on the call from my FFL guy. Woo hoo!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Congrats. An excellent gun. I have one and love it.

Good choice!

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Nice gun, I love mine.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #4

Liked 248 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Don't sell that DW , you may want a very accurate handgun one day . You can get a small grip for it from LB Customs grips and a 21/2" barrel and shroud from EWKarms to shirk up the external size. I do like the M&P9c my wife has as I did the break in a trigger work on it and may get me a 4 1/2" M&P 45 but my DW revolvers will never leave. Maybe take up some hog hunting?? One of them in a mernickel midrise ps-6 holster makes for a fine set up.

http://lbcustomgrips.com/gallery/
http://www.ewkarms.com/zen8/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_14&produ cts_id=33

Old 10-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

My 9c came in Monday and everything went smoothly with the transfer at the LGS. On Tuesday I went to the range and put 200 rounds through it. I took a box of Remington, one and a half boxes of Seller & Beloit and a box of PMC Bronze, all in 115 grain FMJ. I also tried a box (25) of Liberty Civil Defense lead-free 50 gr. hollow point.

I had one failure to feed with either the Rem or the S-B ammo. I'm not sure which because I had a mixed magazine having just started a new box. I cleared the round and put it back in the magazine and tried to rack it in. Failure to feed the same round a second time. I guess I should have saved it for closer examination or measurement. I didn't. I cleared the round again, stuck it in the open chamber by hand, released the slide and shot it. Bang, worked just fine and cycled the next round with no issues.

Probably not the safest thing to do, and someone will tell me how dumb that was, but I really didn't think it through first. Anyway, I finished up the rest of the boxes with no further problems. I think it was the cartridge at fault, maybe too short or too long, or deformed in some way (though not visible with a cursory glance) that prevented a smooth feed.

All in all, I'm very happy with my new acquisition. My carry holster, magazine pouch and some other goodies come in soon so I'll post an update in a few days.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiifrank
I think it was the cartridge at fault
I'm inclined to agree.

Glad you enjoy your 9c. I love mine. I haven't had any problems with factory ammunition. I reload, and am not the most precise reloader, so I've had some issues with those, but I'm working on fixing them.

Anyway, its a great gun and I'm glad you're pleased.

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Don't sell that DW , you may want a very accurate handgun one day . You can get a small grip for it from LB Customs grips and a 21/2" barrel and shroud from EWKarms to shirk up the external size. I do like the M&P9c my wife has as I did the break in a trigger work on it and may get me a 4 1/2" M&P 45 but my DW revolvers will never leave. Maybe take up some hog hunting?? One of them in a mernickel midrise ps-6 holster makes for a fine set up.

http://lbcustomgrips.com/gallery/
http://www.ewkarms.com/zen8/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_14&produ cts_id=33
I don't plan to sell it. I like shooting it. My small "gun collection" has only a single representative from a few different categories and I like shooting the different types.

As I was telling my wife last night, I still "need" a bolt-action hunting rifle, a 1911-style semi-auto and an AR-style rifle. Well, she doesn't see it quite the same way as I do, as you can probably imagine.

Why can't they (wives, I mean) understand, it's like shoes or purses are to them. They know perfectly well that they can't wear blue shoes with a brown dress. They should get it that you can't punch .357 magnium holes in a target with a .22 Roughrider. It just isn't done. ;-)
Old 10-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #8

Liked 248 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Gota take the wife shooting more and get HER hooked then more guns will come home. Aaa, her guns too.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #9

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My girlfriend wanted a pistol of her own so we decided on a 9c she loved it til we bought a G19, but that's ok I get to carry the little Smith now. Other then the fact that the mag release sometimes gets pressed by accident while carrying it I like a lot